Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Philipholmes
New Member!
Bristol
Philipholmes is male 

16-12-2014, 06:15 PM

Airport Experience

Hi Guys,

My name is Phil and I am currently doing in-depth research on the air travel industry, specifically the airport journey for the ageing population, I have a few questions that i would really appreciate any response too.

When heading to an airport are there any needs or wants that people such as us, over 50's require?

The airport is a very stressful place, as over 50's are there any parts of the airport experience that are particularly stressful or require help at?

Do you have any personal experiences within the airport journey that you struggle with?

If you could chose one thing that may assist in anyway with the airport experience? (from help with baggage to navigation of the airport? )

Finally do you know of any serious problems or things that aren't quite up to scratch that over 50's face when in the airport?

Any information to do with the airport journey would be of great help to myself.

Any answers with these questions or any comments will be much appreciated, Thanks Phil
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2014, 07:39 PM

Re: Airport Experience

I think that airports are the most user-unfriendly places on earth. From entering the car park to getting on the plane it's all stressful. Long queues, lots of walking dragging luggage about with you and all the time making sure that you don't miss a vital announcement. On top of all that you get ripped off when buying food and drink. I hate the places.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2014, 07:53 PM

we had a terrible time when we reached the new Alicante airport,the place is huge! we were told to go downstairs to meet the coach, we walked for miles, found some stairs, walked all the way down to find it was a dead end so back up the stairs, we looked around for signs, none visible, we were walking from one end to the other trying to find these stairs!
Eventually we found a member of staff who directed us to a set of unmarked steps, when we finally reached the bottom, the coach was waiting, the rep outside ushered us forward, I was so embarrassed for holding up all the passengers I apologised to them all when we boarded
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2014, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I think that airports are the most user-unfriendly places on earth. From entering the car park to getting on the plane it's all stressful. Long queues, lots of walking dragging luggage about with you and all the time making sure that you don't miss a vital announcement. On top of all that you get ripped off when buying food and drink. I hate the places.
I agree with Alan and I've flown several times on my own and it's worse then, you have to be doubly alert and the airport staff have no time for anyone, no matter how old! Not a happy experience overall.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2014, 08:35 PM

another bad experience is flying to Atlanta airport, the staff are rude and shout at the passengers, put the fear of God in me!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2014, 10:40 PM

More places to sit before you check in!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2014, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Philipholmes ->
When heading to an airport are there any needs or wants that people such as us, over 50's require?

The airport is a very stressful place, as over 50's are there any parts of the airport experience that are particularly stressful or require help at?

Do you have any personal experiences within the airport journey that you struggle with?

If you could chose one thing that may assist in anyway with the airport experience? (from help with baggage to navigation of the airport? )

Finally do you know of any serious problems or things that aren't quite up to scratch that over 50's face when in the airport?

Any information to do with the airport journey would be of great help to myself.

Any answers with these questions or any comments will be much appreciated, Thanks Phil
Hi Phil, this post has had me laughing so much I nearly fell of my chair, please allow me to tell you why.

Firstly I have done a lot of flying, starting in about 1967, I was for 15 years a company 'trouble shooter' and went to many airports in Europe, Africa, & Middle East. In those days you were treated as someone a little bit 'special' and it showed in everything the airlines did, even if you were 'tourist class' I used to enjoy it and if anything amiss did happen you always got the impression the airline / airport was trying to help.

But all that has changed and in 2008 I took what I hope will have been my last ever flight. God willing I will never have to put myself through the humiliation, frustration, and down right disrespect that goes with flying now. I spent £50K and bought a motor home and I can go anywhere in UK and mainland Europe and not have to put up with the airlines attitude to it's customers anymore.

Just one example out of hundreds I could give. I was booked to fly to Prague departure was 13:00 hrs. Arrived at airport at 11:00 in plenty of time but already huge que at check in. Told there might be a delay but no explanation what ever as to why. Lots of passengers around going to Amsterdam. Eventually I discover that the Amersterdam flight had a technical problem, so what did they do, simple they took MY PLANE which had no problems and used it to fly the Amsterdam passengers and then fly back to take ME to Prague a delay that amounted to FIVE hours in total.:twisted :

I well remember that in 1960's BEA always had a spare aircraft available for when there was a technical problem, but not now, just make the muppet passengers sit around and wait is the attitude. Liars and cheats.

I would like to complete your questionaire but frankly, since I will never ever get on a plane, or rub shoulders with the peasants you see in airports now there's not much point.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

16-12-2014, 11:05 PM

I'd never fly again, had a terrible flight to Amsterdam, it was a small plane, the turbulence was frightening, overhead lockers were flying open, people were falling over, we were thrown back and forth, at one point I thought the plane was going to break up!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2014, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Hi Phil, this post has had me laughing so much I nearly fell of my chair, please allow me to tell you why.

Firstly I have done a lot of flying, starting in about 1967, I was for 15 years a company 'trouble shooter' and went to many airports in Europe, Africa, & Middle East. In those days you were treated as someone a little bit 'special' and it showed in everything the airlines did, even if you were 'tourist class' I used to enjoy it and if anything amiss did happen you always got the impression the airline / airport was trying to help.

But all that has changed and in 2008 I took what I hope will have been my last ever flight. God willing I will never have to put myself through the humiliation, frustration, and down right disrespect that goes with flying now. I spent £50K and bought a motor home and I can go anywhere in UK and mainland Europe and not have to put up with the airlines attitude to it's customers anymore.

Just one example out of hundreds I could give. I was booked to fly to Prague departure was 13:00 hrs. Arrived at airport at 11:00 in plenty of time but already huge que at check in. Told there might be a delay but no explanation what ever as to why. Lots of passengers around going to Amsterdam. Eventually I discover that the Amersterdam flight had a technical problem, so what did they do, simple they took MY PLANE which had no problems and used it to fly the Amsterdam passengers and then fly back to take ME to Prague a delay that amounted to FIVE hours in total.:twisted :

I well remember that in 1960's BEA always had a spare aircraft available for when there was a technical problem, but not now, just make the muppet passengers sit around and wait is the attitude. Liars and cheats.

I would like to complete your questionaire but frankly, since I will never ever get on a plane, or rub shoulders with the peasants you see in airports now there's not much point.
Great post.

Yes, why are we often made to feel they're doing us a favour? The flights cost a lot of money. The security staff's faces are often tripping them. That must be in the job description "applicants need not apply who don't have crabbit faces". Everything in the airport costs a fortune, and through passport control they have us in their greedy claws. We witnessed a cheery passport control assistant in Oz and were gobsmacked - so they CAN smile, AND chat? Yes, we're well and truly treated like muppets.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2014, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Philipholmes ->
Hi Guys,

My name is Phil and I am currently doing in-depth research on the air travel industry, specifically the airport journey for the ageing population, I have a few questions that i would really appreciate any response too.

Why is it that your phrasing makes me suspicious of you and your apparent inclusion in the "over 50's"! Your PR exercise might be more successful if you are honest about yourself at the outset.................details of your nationality (French I'd guess) and employer might help!

To address your first question: When heading to an airport are there any needs or wants that people such as us, over 50's require?
Yes! I'd like a direct route without the fuss of one taxi, two trains (absolute minumum and frequently as many as five changes of train) and a ferry. Oh.........that request also covers the under 50's! So perhaps airlines/airports could arrange taxis AND reasonably priced airport hotels for a more comfortable "airport experience"!

2. The "airport experience" as you unfortunately phrase it, is frequently a total nightmare. Reasonably priced flights leave very early, check in is two hours prior to that. There are a huge number of flights which leave before 7am, and an unreasonable number of people arrive at Gatwick very early to check-in. This creates huge crowds which build up both before and after check in, before departures actually commence. At that time, shops in departure lounges are only just opening and mostly understaffed - to buy a small item, can require standing in queues for an unreasonable amount of time...........only to get to the checkout and find a boarding pass is required to buy a bottle of water.......to replace the bottle which has had to be thrown away prior to passport control!
Comfortable seating - with reclining seats - should be seen as the minimum requirement when flights are delayed - they should of course, be complimentary.
Is this of any use to your "airport experience" research? Guess you're not interested in my complaints about the lack of silver service on BOAC from London Airport..........or the lack of a travel cot for me in the 1950's??

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top