Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 07:25 PM

Re: Tennis grunts and groans

I cant abide all the grunting either its ridiculous and it gets louder and more irritating the more points the player loses.
I really think Wimbledon as a club could maybe ask for it to be toned down somewhat as it never used to be like this especially in the womens game.
I dont enjoy watching the womens matches at all so I stick with the mens matches
I do often wonder what would happen if a female player complained officially to the umpire about her opponents grunting being distracting to her game wether anything would be said or done to curb this extremely annoying habit that some seem to have to vocalise.
I dont see all the women doing the grunting so its obviously not essential to "grunt " to play well.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 07:29 PM

Well said Aysa☺
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I can picture you two in a room watching the tennis together
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 07:54 PM

I watch very little of the women's tennis because I can't stand the noise!
Heather Watson was a joy - not a sound.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 08:23 PM

I cannot watch Sharapova because of her screeches. Like you, ruthio, I don't watch much of the women's matches because of the grunts, although they don't seem to have been too bad yet this year (apart from Sharapova). Still, they always seem to get louder and more prominent the closer it gets to the finals...
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2015, 08:27 PM

Well I must admit, I can't stand watching Tennis, I have no interest at all, my Sister-in-Law will sit there all day long watching it, and that grunting does get on your nerves, but that's just my opinion, lots of people love it.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 10:07 AM

When I got home from work yesterday I put the tennis on and they were showing the Sharapova match, how loud does she have to grunt, goodness me I had to turn the sound off.

I too when Murray is playing hit every ball with him and throw my arms up in the air when the ball goes out. My husband thinks it is so funny to watch me.

Last night we watched some of the oldies playing a doubles match it was Bahrami and Leconte vs Woodbridge and Woodford so entertaining they still play very good tennis but Bahrami and Leconte do play act through out the match, the crowd now expect it and look forward to it. They take off other players ie grunting at times and hitting the ball on the ground numerous times before they hit it into the net. Brilliant
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 10:39 AM

Shirley I love watching the older players having a good time ..Henry Leconte just makes me laugh so much with his funny antics...such a character..its lovely when players are older and play together their characters come out to entertain the crowds
McEnroe has a very funny character also
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2015, 10:42 AM

As soon as I found out they were on the list to play yesterday I could not wait for them to come on. Even the umpire has a good time, I don't know how he keeps score with so many balls flying around the place.

I used to love Henri Leconte when he was younger and as you say the faces he pulls cracks me up.

Is McEnroe mellowing with age do you think, he still likes to win though.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

08-07-2015, 10:48 AM

McEnroe is a pleasure to watch and yes Shirley I think he has really mellowed now which is great but I still see the fire there that he has..I really enjoy hearing his commentaries on matches and also Andrew Castle too

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top