Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 01:47 AM

Re: cruises now paid for

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
WOW !!!!

You'll have to budge up Mups 'cos I think I'll be joining you

You'd be most welcome, Myrtle. I'll bring some sarnies.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You'd be most welcome, Myrtle. I'll bring some sarnies.
Will do ... and a flask
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 07:23 AM

We're going to new Zealand on the Explorer of the Seas - sister ship to the one above and it looks a lot similar. It's the first super-liner we've been on. The other two Royal Caribbean cruises we've done were on The Radiance of the Seas which is smaller but still very glamorous.

Bruce - I'm sure you'll enjoy it - even if it is just one long series of spa baths and beers! And don't forget the never ending food! And the trivial pursuit and the bingo and the nightly shows - never a dull moment. Many people I know who love cruises started off saying they didn't really want to go and then found they felt quite differently. And like us, it's not as if you haven't done all the other kind of travelling as well. Being waited on hand and foot has to have something going for it.

On this one to NZ we've made a decision not to go on any of the excursions. They are hugely expensive on this ship and most of the NZ towns it visits can be done on our own, unlike some of the cities overseas.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 10:40 AM

My sister and BiL would do about two cruises a year. BiL would keep an eye on prices and book one if it looked reasonable. They've been with Royal Caribbean, P&O, Thompson..

They've been to the Caribbean, the Med, Russia, Istanbul, Norway, Iceland, round Britain, Orkneys...

All sounded wonderful. They usually booked a balcony room.

Mum and I had a balcony once, on Ocean Village, but she always wanted to prop the door open! But we got terrible noise from the deck above, the ice cream shop I think, one night, the staff scraping chairs across the wooden floor for entertainment. I'd shot out of bed, up the stairs and shouted at them 'will you stop that!!! We're right below you and can hear everything.'

Miss OV. Certainly not a patch on its big sisters, and no fancy shopping malls, but we loved her. She was affordable.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 11:15 AM

It's a funny thing cruising, and one which I poo-poo-ed for years. Then we thought "We'll give it a try" Just a week and to the fiords, so it will be beautiful scenery even if we hate the ship thing. I was terribly apprehensive about claustrophobia and 'posh old people'.

Wrong on both counts - though there are lots of people around there are always quiet corners on a ship, so you don't have too feel overcrowded and as for the other passengers - just lovely. PLU's. It's such a companionable holiday, where people go out of their way to speak to you, rather than develop the 1000 yard stare people in hotels tend to cultivate

So, we're committed cruisers now, and really love it. It's a great way of being adventurous whilst being cossetted!

Enjoy yours everyone - we're looking forward to a Canaries trip shortly
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 02:19 PM

Back in 2000 we booked our first-ever cruise (to celebrate our silver wedding) on the lovely 'Oriana'. It was supposed to be a one-off, once-in-a-lifetime trip (honest it was!) but we loved the whole experience so much that we've now racked up 22 cruises. Everything from a two-night party cruise to the amazing 100-day world circumnavigation.

You could say that we're hooked!

Having said that, we don't like the huge super-liners, in spite of all the up-to-the-minute amenities on board. We prefer mid-sized ships with a maximum of around 2000 passengers.

Horses for courses!

Husband won't - repeat, WON'T - fly, so cruising from Southampton is ideal for us. He's written several books about cruising since we started, and as he's got ideas for a couple more we shall have to set sail again. It's a tough life.....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 05:39 PM

Makes me feel a bit inferior as I stand in me garage trying to mend the 3rd puncture in me dinghy . . .
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Makes me feel a bit inferior as I stand in me garage trying to mend the 3rd puncture in me dinghy . . .
Don't feel inferior Mups ... I haven't even got a dinghy ... nor a garage !!!
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Now that is just being silly isn't it? at last my wife and I can enjoy our retirement a little can't we?

You have absolutely no idea of how much saving we have done- the long hours running our own business/ working for others and doing 5 jobs between us to start when we got engaged/ married- not even decent a honeymoon - and the so few holidays in our 43 year of marriage, I could count them on one hand.
Yes now we are retired we can afford a decent holiday once a year, a nice house and new car, and damn well proud of it. I will shout it from the rooftops if I want to.

No golden spoon for us, started married life with nothing ,owed money on our car and a big mortgage to pay for ( on a small 2 bed terrace house with 1 small room downstairs) -bring up 2 children as well. So don't ever get the idea we were born rich, far from it.

I was even ordered to ease up by my doctor as I was loosing too much weight down to 6 stone with hard manual work and little sleep, doing anything from 14 to 16 hours a day 7 days a week, but it fed us -paid the bills- kept a roof over our heads as wells , and buying a house to start with - and out of debt apart from mortgage

By the way look what hard work can bring you with saving hard.

A new car with personal number plates £34,000

not to mention a fairly new car for my wife as well

A large 4 bedroom house, not far off £1/2m, with a huge 24ftx 48ft garage

Also helped with a deposit on my youngest sons house. Now paying us back with trips to where he is in Brazil

Peter ( Purwell)
You could have the same if you put in the same effort as we did.

OOh and the 5 jobs between us? my wife worked as a typist and on saturdays in Boots
Me
in electronic engineering during the day and evenings weekends helping repair/service cars with a car mechanic and or working in a pub depending on when I had the time/ shifts etc
Then I went to work for BT as a switchboard fitter before buying our own business

fab house u have
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2016, 08:54 PM

we did our first cruise in November around the Med and we loved it
we were upgraded to a balcony and it was the best holiday
would def do another one love to do a caribbean one next time

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top