Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:08 PM

Re: When in Rome...

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Is that what they told you?
I seed it wiv my own eyes!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
After studying, planning, saving, and dreaming, I am finally going to Italy for nearly four weeks on a cruise with several days on either end to visit Florence, Rome, Sorrento, Taormina, Venice, Verona, Milan, Lakes Como and Garda, and the Dolomites region The trip also includes several days in Croatia.

I am expecting to make the best of massive crowds, litter, traffic, and lines (queues) planning to see all it all through rose-colored glasses

If any of you has a don't-miss-out-of-the-ordinary suggestion, I would appreciate hearing from you. I'm also interested in any blundering mistakes to avoid.

In general the plan is to:

Book the major museums at night, when possible, so as to avoid crowds
Rent a car only in the Dolomites
Wander, but not waste time shopping
Dress respectfully and well
Mix adventurous days with relaxation days
Avoid the beaches (we have enough of those here)
Not get bogged down in food/wine tours
Try to use rudimentary Italian when I can (which, if nothing else, will be the source of entertainment)

Grazie mille!
Hi Surfermom ... wow, lucky thing, you're gonna have a fab time.

Museums ... personally, I don't like them, and would rather be in the real world ... a local cafe/bar/church.

Food/wine tours can be interesting, I guess, but not half as interesting as discovering food/wine for yourself.

Rudimentary Italian ... please, thankyou, good day ... is all that's require, with sincerity.

Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:12 PM

Surfermom how exciting!
Italy is smelly, crowded and ancient
Yet it is definitely one of the most beautiful countries I have ever visited.
Wherever you visit, indulge in their tradition of enjoying a pavement/terrazza caffè so you can soak up that musical language of love, the stunning architecture and the rhythms and bustle of the Italian life.

I know you didn't want to shop too much
But the leather goods are too good to ignore
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:23 PM

Two towns worth a visit if they're not too far out of your way are Bellagio on Lake Como and historic Chiavenna...where there are performances of Romeo and Juliet played in the very streets (at certain times of the year)
Amazing
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 08:37 PM

oh wow, how wonderful for you. I would LOVE to go to Italy. Lake Garda looks spectacular, the Sistine Chapel, The Vatican, Colosseum amongst others would be on my itinary.

If I were going I would like to go one a excursion to Crypts & Catacombs and Legends & Ghosts of Rome Tour although I get that its not for everyone.

https://citywonders.com/rome-tours/haunted-rome-tour

You are so lucky to be having that to look forward to but then I know you already know that. Can you stick me in your suitcase please

I'm already looking foward to hearing all about the trip and seeing photos x
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
After studying, planning, saving, and dreaming, I am finally going to Italy for nearly four weeks on a cruise with several days on either end to visit Florence, Rome, Sorrento, Taormina, Venice, Verona, Milan, Lakes Como and Garda, and the Dolomites region The trip also includes several days in Croatia.

I am expecting to make the best of massive crowds, litter, traffic, and lines (queues) planning to see all it all through rose-colored glasses

If any of you has a don't-miss-out-of-the-ordinary suggestion, I would appreciate hearing from you. I'm also interested in any blundering mistakes to avoid.

In general the plan is to:

Book the major museums at night, when possible, so as to avoid crowds
Rent a car only in the Dolomites
Wander, but not waste time shopping
Dress respectfully and well
Mix adventurous days with relaxation days
Avoid the beaches (we have enough of those here)
Not get bogged down in food/wine tours
Try to use rudimentary Italian when I can (which, if nothing else, will be the source of entertainment)

Grazie mille!
Oh my Surfermom! You are going to have such a fabulous experience! Italy is my favourite place on earth, closely linked with Croatia. You just cannot go wrong with that list - a sensory overload.

Of your list the only I haven't seen are Sorrento and Lake Como. Italy just has that feelgood factor, the most amazing architecture, history, culture, food, weather and people. Last time I visited was on a trip in 2016. That time we were in Puglia where they had all the earthquakes. Assisi was amazing. So many places to see there and every town is a treasure because the locals make it so.

We were in Dubrovnik last year and I saw more of the Dalmatia coast in 2015. Croatia is a close rival in my affections to Italy.

You are going to have a fabulous time and I hope you have time to post some stunning photos.

NB if you go to the Uffizi Gallery in Florence - don't try to see it all in one day. Decide on the paintings you want to see. You need about a month to see it all properly.

Make sure you see the Castello d Angelo in Rome. It has a fabulous view over the city which is really special. Again don't try to take in the entire Vatican Museum. It's exhausting! Don't miss the Spanish Steps. they are lovely. Try to see an opera in rome, there are plenty of little theatres. It's very intimate and intense compared to seeing one in a big show.

I adored Lake Garda. It's a place where you can forget all your cares listening to the slowly lapping water and clinking glasses. I'd recommend taking the cruise around the lake. It's an all day trip but really worth it. Loved Verona too. Forget Juliet's boob, sitting in the main square with an aperol spritz and people watching is what it's all about.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

27-05-2019, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by annies ->
oh my surfermom! You are going to have such a fabulous experience! Italy is my favourite place on earth, closely linked with croatia. You just cannot go wrong with that list - a sensory overload.

Of your list the only i haven't seen are sorrento and lake como. Italy just has that feelgood factor, the most amazing architecture, history, culture, food, weather and people. Last time i visited was on a trip in 2016. That time we were in puglia where they had all the earthquakes. Assisi was amazing. So many places to see there and every town is a treasure because the locals make it so.

We were in dubrovnik last year and i saw more of the dalmatia coast in 2015. Croatia is a close rival in my affections to italy.

You are going to have a fabulous time and i hope you have time to post some stunning photos.

Nb if you go to the uffizi gallery in florence - don't try to see it all in one day. Decide on the paintings you want to see. You need about a month to see it all properly.

Make sure you see the castello d angelo in rome. It has a fabulous view over the city which is really special. Again don't try to take in the entire vatican museum. It's exhausting! Don't miss the spanish steps. They are lovely. Try to see an opera in rome, there are plenty of little theatres. It's very intimate and intense compared to seeing one in a big show.

I adored lake garda. It's a place where you can forget all your cares listening to the slowly lapping water and clinking glasses. I'd recommend taking the cruise around the lake. It's an all day trip but really worth it. Loved verona too. Forget juliet's boob, sitting in the main square with an aperol spritz and people watching is what it's all about.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 06:29 AM

Longdogs, thank you for your advice regarding catacombs. I will be sure to keep one eye on the sights and a second lizard-eyed on what’s going on around me

Puddle Duck
, such good information! I actually plan on seeing more of the Roman Forum than the Colosseum, where the architecture is fascinating but the history is hauntingly heavy . I’ll post a link separately, but there is a phenomenal (put out Smarthistory.com that has a series of great little lessons on art history) that shows what Rome looked like in the 4th century, which has helped me a lot in getting my bearings. I couldn’t agree more about the ticket lines , so I’ve ordered tickets with guides that will also allow for some free time for exploring. As far as Rome goes, I have booked the Vatican at night, the Borghese Gallery, and the Forum/Colosseum, so far. Several now-read history books and art history books are piled up around the house, and I’ve discovered la great podcast titled fittingly “The History of Rome”, so I feel fairly prepared - though I am sure to really know Rome it would take a lifetime. Good advice on the walking; I plan to walk as much as possible just to take it all in.

Dood, thank you for being excited about my trip . Like you, I am more about enjoying the ambience of Italy and its scenery (hence several days hiking in the Dolomites and relaxing in the Lake district). I completely agree with you about the food, and I am inclined just to wander around hoping to find a place that is small, local, and out of the way of the major tourist areas. I think what hooked me on the museums was taking a great art history course and dabbling with some oil painting. I can’t wait!

Rhian, you had me laughing because your description of it being smelly, crowded, and ancient was exactly how my twenty-something niece described it when she visited last summer, but she too loved it! Your romantic (ha, I just thought about the etymology of that) view of Italy and how to take it in is exactly how I want to visit. What I don’t want to do is just race from one sight to another without really absorbing the culture. Bellagio is on the list, but I haven’t heard of Chiavenna, so I’ll do a little research on that.

Lion Queen
, thank you for the link. I’ll find room for you somehow…

Annie, I’m most grateful for all the specifics. I am indeed going to Sorrento and Lake Como though obviously at opposite ends of the trip. I’ve already been strategizing how and what to see at the UffIzi, and I’m thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the Dalmation coast . I know little about it but have heard that it’s gorgeous and rich in a history of its own. More reading on that is forthcoming. I had hoped to see something at La Scala, but it’s August so no opera then , though the theatre is open for viewing. I can’t imagine going to Italy and not seeing something! I plan to see the Castello Sant’Angelo on the way to the Vatican.

You all have me even more excited than when I started the thread. Traveling is like Christmas for grownups

Now I just have to figure out what to wear .
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 06:35 AM

Take a sunhat and a fan. It'll be jolly hot.
(I use a roll-up sunhat that I keep in my bag).

Also, a lot of churches still insist that women cover their shoulders when they enter, so if you have a lot of sleeveless things, scrunch up a light scarf to keep in your bag to act as a shawl.

Edit. You've probably been told this, but Italy has a weird system of paying for things in bars. You decide what you want and pay for it at the till. They give you a receipt and then you queue at the bar to get whatever it is, showing them the receipt.

Also remember that in a lot of places, the prices you pay if standing at the bar are different from those you pay if sitting down at a table, so don't buy something at the bar and then take it outside to sit at a table with!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 07:00 AM

Thanks, Pyxell. I love heat - 31C is about right for me, but you can bet that I will be slathered up in sunscreen. Yes, I did know about the strict dress codes, but I think it's important to share with anyone going into any of the churches.

Really good information about the bars. I had no idea and would have botched that up for sure!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top