Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 02:45 PM

Shill

Funny how some threads and replies can lead you on to something else.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

Shills can carry out their operations in the areas of media, journalism, marketing, politics, confidence games, or other business areas
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 04:02 PM

Re: Shill

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Funny how some threads and replies can lead you on to something else.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill
In the good old days Cinders we called them stoolpidgeons
or something like that? I must say it seems to be the
profession of choice nowadays!!

Regards Donkeyman!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 04:13 PM

I have to admit I have never heard that term before.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I first came across it during all the internet sites discussing the missing Madeleine McCann .
Shills were appointed and paid it was said by their critics to support and promote the McCann parents claim that she had been abducted .
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 04:27 PM

My grandmother would say the putz was a 'malshin' so I would hazard a guess one is from the other but I've no idea which came first.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I first came across it during all the internet sites discussing the missing Madeleine McCann .
Shills were appointed and paid it was said by their critics to support and promote the McCann parents claim that she had been abducted .
I have seen them at those local auctions where they pretend to be members of the public.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
My grandmother would say the putz was a 'malshin' so I would hazard a guess one is from the other but I've no idea which came first.
It's Yiddish. A putz is a bit of a twat and a malshin is someone talking bad or stupid.

If she had said that a "putz was a-malshin" it would mean that a stupid twat was shooting their mouth and trouble making.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 04:43 PM

Surprised people haven't heard the term "shill". Very old, very commong TBH.

If you see a guy in the street playing the 3 card monty game or "find the lady" or doing the game with 3 cups and a ball or 3 nut shells and a pea, then that is a con man. The game is rigged and people lose their money betting on it.

Such con men always use shills. At least 3 or 4 of the people standing around are shills, just a part of teh gang pretending to be members of the public. They place their cash on the table and generally win which gives the real public the false notion that one can make money at the game.

In terms of our current government, yes, many many MPs are just shills working for the EU rather than working for the UK people.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

Me neither.
But what prompted the Shill thread, Cinders?
I don't understand.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Me neither.
But what prompted the Shill thread, Cinders?
I don't understand.
The politics thread in particular and some comments made.
Guess that is where the term shilly-shallying originates.

Origin
mid 18th century: originally as shill I, shall I, reduplication of shall I?

Nothing to do with coin. The word shilling comes from old English "Scilling", a monetary term meaning twentieth of a pound, and from the Proto-Germanic root skiljaną meaning 'to separate, split, divide.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top