Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 03:13 PM

Re: Breakup of the UK

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11...icola-sturgeon
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

16-08-2019, 05:22 PM

It is an old one, about RBS heading south. In fact RBS has been aiming to move its HQ to London for years. It has many large offices in London and most senior management spend most of their time there.
Besides, if RBS heads south we can confirm that that the debt and the losses from selling off the government shares are definitely all England's. Enjoy them.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 08:43 PM

If Scotland does become Independant they have to accept that they are on their own, no going back, which may be too daunting for many. There is still mistrust of SNP, and some may believe it better staying in the union.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2019, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
If Scotland does become Independant they have to accept that they are on their own, no going back, which may be too daunting for many. There is still mistrust of SNP, and some may believe it better staying in the union.
Agree with you on that one. Always better to stay in a union.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I believe that Junker (or one of them announced not so long ago that any country joining the EU will in future have to adopt the Euro. Scotland , I assume will leave the EU with UK and then have to apply to re-join as an independent country, therefore they will have the Euro. It was once thought they would keep the Pound, propped up by the Bank of England.. don't think so !
Also, The Royal Bank of Scotland has already stated that should Scotland ever gain independence, they would relocate to London as Scotland's economy would not be large enough to be sustainable for it to remain there.

I think that says it all really.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
And I have to say if they are seen as "silly ginger dwarves" (See above) by the English I think they should go it alone.

That was just a reference to Nicola and I think you would find many Scots have far less flattering things to call her.
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

17-08-2019, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Also, The Royal Bank of Scotland has already stated that should Scotland ever gain independence, they would relocate to London as Scotland's economy would not be large enough to be sustainable for it to remain there.

I think that says it all really.
The RBS wishes to remain on the FTSE / London stock listing. It wishes direct access to the London money markets. I get all that and it is no surprise that it wishes to be based in London. It also wishes to be as attractive as possible as a purchase once the government sells off its shares. RBS is so busted, such a mess (still) that sell off is the most likely option while its shares are dismally low. It is destined to be a non-UK bank let alone a non-Scotland bank. This chat about RBS does not impact any independence debate.
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
So you are advocating a trade war with our biggest market. I wonder how that would pan out? I wouldn't depend on much help from our near neighbours in Europe. They will still be selling their produce to us after brexit.

I am not advocating a full on trade war but it is a natural progression to UK leaving without a deal and refusing to pay the money they promised the EU under Theresa May.

What do you expect business as usual?

It starts with tariffs (which hurt the poor) and escalates to full on trade wars. In the case of China and Trump you have escalating tariffs at the moment but the bottom line is both super powers are self sufficient in the basics like food, energy etc so its not too bad for both sides.

England is very much not self sufficient in food and much of its own supply actually comes from Scotland. What I am saying if you live in England don't rely too heavily foods from Scotland.

By the way if/when Scotland declares independence from UK, I think the blue of St Andrews should be removed from the UK union flag since we will no longer be part of UK.

The union flag will then just be red and white.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Agree with you on that one. Always better to stay in a union.
Only if you are happy with the future direction of travel within that Union

For the UK the direction is for more devolved powers for the constituent countries and regions and decentralisation.

For the EU it is for less Sovereignity for member States , centralisation of national powers and decision making to Brussels and ultimately to the federalisation of all States within the EU to create a United States of Europe ( an EU Empire) , with an EU Army, EU foreign Office and an EU currency for every member state.

THAT, Solly, is the difference that you don't want to talk about!
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2019, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
Only if you are happy with the future direction of travel within that Union

Not just direction of travel is it? Its also the actual present reality. England is a complete basket case corrupt from top to bottom with a population who "believe" everything they are being told by a right wing press. Many holding racist views about foreigners, many believing that england still has an empire that is OK to bully.

For sure Scotland will be poorer by leaving the UK. Unlike the deluded brexit little Englanders on here, I accept pain and disruption will be inevitable but we cannot and will not be led by the donkeys we have in Westminster at present. We are too much better than that. So independence it is. We want the blue removed from the UK flag. We want our own flag back!

ps good luck with your stockpiling, panic buying, spivs and dealings with Donald Trump. You deserve each other.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top