Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 08:57 PM

Re: Ever Been To A Demolition Derby?

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do any drivers ever get badly injured or killed?

Good question, Mups...but I do not know the answer. For all the years that they've been going on...it would be my guess that there probably have been injuries and maybe even a death but I honestly do not know...for sure.
Beautiful Filly
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 09:00 PM

Here is a Demolition Derby that took place in Rockton, Ontario this year...for Mini Cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzQYBuFwqqc
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 10:15 PM

We've had demolition derbies for as long as I can remember. Locally, they are held in the summer months at the County Fairgrounds. Old beat up cars revving engines, doing wheelies in the dirt and mud, and hitting other cars to take them out. There are roll bars in the cars for protection, helmets are worn, and the like. Since the derby is held in an enclosed area, speeds aren't very fast, so most times no one gets hurt.

Fun for the good ol' boys, lots of beer, food and fun. I haven't gone since the 80s.....but still like the beer.
Beautiful Filly

28-10-2018, 10:21 PM

I get attached to my cars if I like them, and I would upset me to see that smashed to smithereens after we'd been everywhere together.

I do know cars are probably squashed at disposal, but don't think I'd want to witness it.

Actually Mups...we were all looking forward to going but sickness and the weather put a damper on our plans...pun intended.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 10:28 PM

It's usually called Banger Racing in the UK. Wanton destruction of potential future classic cars.

For example Triumph 2000 and Rover P5 "prepared" for racing

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	bangers.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	7790  
Beautiful Filly

28-10-2018, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
We've had demolition derbies for as long as I can remember. Locally, they are held in the summer months at the County Fairgrounds. Old beat up cars revving engines, doing wheelies in the dirt and mud, and hitting other cars to take them out. There are roll bars in the cars for protection, helmets are worn, and the like. Since the derby is held in an enclosed area, speeds aren't very fast, so most times no one gets hurt.

Fun for the good ol' boys, lots of beer, food and fun. I haven't gone since the 80s.....but still like the beer.

Hi Right Now...they are still in high gear here at many of the fall fairs... I wish we'd been able to go...it's especially fun for the kids and as you said..."the good ol' boys"...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2018, 10:30 PM

I get attached to my cars if I like them, and I would upset me to see that smashed to smithereens after we'd been everywhere together.

I do know cars are probably squashed at disposal, but don't think I'd want to witness it.
I feel the same Mups, my little car would be bullied, I couldn't stand that!
I used to go to saloon car races and formula 2 stock car racing in S.Africa ,only once to formula 1 stock cars (extremely noisy), that was scary enough without cars being demolished.
Beautiful Filly

28-10-2018, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
It's usually called Banger Racing in the UK. Wanton destruction of potential future classic cars.

...Ray, I don't think my little, Chevy was destined to be "a classic car."
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 08:23 AM

Very interesting thread Filly
I can remember hearing "demolition derby" over the years, but I don't think I ever really knew what they were.......
I think when my brothers were younger, they would have partaked in that sort of thing.

My last car is now on the race track.....My neice will drive it there until "it is no more"....wish I would have thought it over and maybe kept that little car. It served me well.........

I think I remembe your little car, was it a tan colour? If not, then I don't remember it. My little Honda was white with a black pin stripe along the sides.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2018, 10:18 AM

Been to quite a few banger races over the years I think they are similar to demolition derbys. The boys loved them, Jordan had ambitions to have a go at one point, but time he was old enough he had decided to join the army and fitness was more important to him than beating up old cars. I'e never see anyone get badly hurt, few scrapes and bruises but nothing life threatening. They wear helmets and have proper seat belts fitted so if they roll they are pretty well strapped in. Many have extra roll bars etc fitted to their cars too.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top