Join for free
Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2021, 07:00 PM

Re: Freedom of speech

Originally Posted by bret ->
wasn't it the Greeks who introduced 'freedom of speech' and democracy and govt by the people; with the people and for the people model? - well they may have spear -headed that one but they seem to be languishing these days - perhaps they've come up with a better model? the rest of us seem to be messing up the one they passed on? Is speakers corner in Hyde Park still going strong - that seemed to encapsulate it for me? there stood true democracy and then perhaps we tried to sell it to the rest of the world?
Oh yes, of course we've always enjoyed the benefit of free speech in this country whereas many others haven't.

Unfortunately, that seems to be 'going out of fashion' these days thanks to the 'woke' movement. There now seem to be so many people in this country who become 'offended' at the drop of a hat and demand reparations from those who have spoken out.

Sad, when we've always been free to have our own opinions and accepted those of other people, even if we disagree with them.
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

08-05-2021, 12:18 AM

which history books have you been reading? Ask Tony Robinson to do you a doco on free speech through the ages in England he'll soon enlighten you?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 11:05 AM

which history books have you been reading? Ask Tony Robinson to do you a doco on free speech through the ages in England he'll soon enlighten you?
That's easy to say. Why not give us some examples?
bret
bret is male 

10-05-2021, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's easy to say. Why not give us some examples?
haven't you studied any english history at all and here is me down udder and you want me to enlighten you - try Henry the Eighth and his version of free speech - and try the catholics right to free speech then for starters - send me your homework book by wed?? - free speech like free lesson don't come cheap!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-05-2021, 10:23 AM

haven't you studied any english history at all and here is me down udder and you want me to enlighten you - try Henry the Eighth and his version of free speech - and try the catholics right to free speech then for starters - send me your homework book by wed?? - free speech like free lesson don't come cheap!
I was referring to the past during living memory.

I said ''we have" always had free speech.

I wasn't around in the 16th century.
bret
bret is male 

10-05-2021, 10:46 AM

well ya didn't bold or underline it l thought you were speakin in the royal terms
bret
bret is male 

10-05-2021, 10:54 AM

well ya didn't underline or bold we in the first instance - then I agree! movin on movin on
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2021, 12:39 PM

wasn't it the Greeks who introduced 'freedom of speech' and democracy and govt by the people; with the people and for the people model? - well they may have spear -headed that one but they seem to be languishing these days - perhaps they've come up with a better model? the rest of us seem to be messing up the one they passed on? Is speakers corner in Hyde Park still going strong - that seemed to encapsulate it for me? there stood true democracy and then perhaps we tried to sell it to the rest of the world?
Maybe, but that didn't apply to any slaves they had. Much like the American constitution when it was first written.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2021, 10:48 PM

https://logicfish.me.uk/alex-belfiel...ech-🎙/

Nothing wrong with plain speaking honesty.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

08-06-2021, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://logicfish.me.uk/alex-belfiel...ech-🎙/

Nothing wrong with plain speaking honesty.
Won't load!

Page 12 of 14 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top