Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2014, 04:46 PM

England's Cricket Team

I have enjoyed watching test match cricket for many years. I remember when the West Indies were the best and England were a joy to watch.

Something has gone very wrong some say it is the Captain Cooke who can't do two jobs of captain and batsman others blame the players who don't score enough runs or don't do well in the field.

Personally I think it is Cooke his placements are all wrong and he doesn't seem to think that his Captaincy is doing him or the team any harm.

I also want to complain about Andrew Strauss and his obscene abusive remarks about Peterson. Andy Gray and Richard Keys were sacked from Saturday football for not being abusive or obscene. Why?
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 10:02 AM

Re: England's Cricket Team

I am finding myself getting increasingly frustrated with our cricket. Just when you think hey we have a chance here, what happens it all goes to pot.

Yes I agree Cookie cannot seem to score runs like he used to and be captain. Is it him making all the decisions though or is it made off the ground.

As for Andrew Strauss making those comments about Peterson, I thought at least he brought a bit of oomph to the game, you never knew what he was going to do, score a 6 or be out for a duck, but the anticipation was great, all right he didn't get on with everyone, or is it because he told them what he thought and they didn't like it.

I know you have to be a team player, but surely you can still have your say.

Strauss is on a final warning for the comments he made. All right he said them when the microphones were off but as he found out Australia was still broadcasting. oops.

(Made a change as I spelt something wrong)
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 11:05 AM

English Cricket? Shouldn't this be in the jokes section?
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
English Cricket? Shouldn't this be in the jokes section?
I wouldn't put it in the jokes as I believe that if you criticise something you should at least come up with something constructive.

You as an Australian must have heard the words of wisdom coming from Warne one of the most respected cricketers in Australia and all over the cricketing world.

Somehow England have won the ashes from you guys, what I'm talking about is what is happening now and shouldn't we have a new Captain?
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

22-07-2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
I am finding myself getting increasingly frustrated with our cricket. Just when you think hey we have a chance here, what happens it all goes to pot.

Yes I agree Cookie cannot seem to score runs like he used to and be captain. Is it him making all the decisions though or is it made off the ground.

As for Andrew Strauss making those comments about Peterson, I thought at least he brought a bit of oomph to the game, you never knew what he was going to do, score a 6 or be out for a duck, but the anticipation was great, all right he didn't get on with everyone, or is it because he told them what he thought and they didn't like it.

I know you have to be a team player, but surely you can still have your say.

Strauss is on a final warning for the comments he made. All right he said them when the microphones were off but as he found out Australia was still broadcasting. oops.

(Made a change as I spelt something wrong)
I agree with all you say people like Beefy Botham, Fred Flintoff they were the oomph that we lack now, this England side are just not good enough.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 03:19 PM

Do you know Cookiecate I find myself harping back to the days of Botham a) because I was a big fan and still am and b) he had a way about him. He did not make a good captain as his game suffered, plus he cannot stand the bureaucracy that goes with cricket.

We won the ashes not so long ago, but what has happened to the game since then. I think we need a big injection of new talent.

I watch a lot of the 20 20 matches between the county teams and surely there are some good lads from these sides that they can pick, who are up and coming.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 05:43 PM

English cricket team? I didn't realise we had one....
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

22-07-2014, 08:28 PM

I agree again Shirley but there are one or two talented lads like Root, Anderson and Broad who seem passionate about their sport. I hear that Matt Prior is standing down and Jos Buttler is taking over as wicket keeper. However, although people as respected as Ricky Ponting say Cooke should go it looks as if he will hang on.

Had to laugh when reading about the team it seems that the hotel they were staying was haunted. They were staying at the Langham Hotel. Broad said the taps kept turning on when the lights were off and on when the lights were off. It makes me think it might be the ghosts of Cricketers Past trying to scare some decent play into these lads.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 04:13 PM

Cook is a great batsman but no captain and it`s showing. I have followed cricket since I was quite young and I do not remember an English bowler better than James Anderson-perhaps Mr Trueman at his best but that was a little bit before my time.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

25-07-2014, 04:18 PM

I wish that a new Captain would emerge so that Cookie could return to his batting skills. There are so many many young talented men in the squad it is sad to see them not winning and of course the army of fans who sit through so many disappointments and still stay cheerful (maybe the beer helps)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top