Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:14 PM

Who invented marriage?

This is a spin off from the 'relationships' thread. I would genuinely like to know who invented marriage.

Who were the first couple to get married?

Was it Adam & Eve - was marriage there right from the start?

What about people in other parts of the world to whom Christianity hadn't reached? I assume they were doing it!!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:18 PM

Re: Who invented marriage?

I really have no idea, but I do know I've been happily married for over 54yrs and never regretted a single day.
I imaging it first came about when a man laid claim to his selected woman and woe betide any other male with desires for her. . . with these chains I thee wed LOL!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:19 PM

I think many people and societies have had a form of binding commitment ceremony...and maybe "marriage" was just another label for it? I think its always been there since time began, it just happened in different ways....interesting topic. I haven't thought about it!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:23 PM

Interesting question.

Making and agreeing to following a set of principles in front of a group of others so that everyone is aware of one's status is one thing and could be as old as the hills.

Somewhere along the line it entered the realm of legal obligations. Wonder when that happened?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Interesting question.

Making and agreeing to following a set of principles in front of a group of others so that everyone is aware of one's status is one thing and could be as old as the hills.

Somewhere along the line it entered the realm of legal obligations. Wonder when that happened?
What I find interesting as well, is that it is always changing....(just following from your legality thoughts) for example, same sex marriage is a fairly recent change....so that committed couples in a same sex relationship have the same rights as a heterosexual couple.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
This is a spin off from the 'relationships' thread. I would genuinely like to know who invented marriage.

Who were the first couple to get married?

Was it Adam & Eve - was marriage there right from the start?

What about people in other parts of the world to whom Christianity hadn't reached? I assume they were doing it!!
I wait with bated breath for responses Carol
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:34 PM

Hi

Ni idea at all Carol

It is a marvellous idea however and something which I wanted.

The lady had other ideas, it was something you abandoned when you found something better.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
What I find interesting as well, is that it is always changing....(just following from your legality thoughts) for example, same sex marriage is a fairly recent change....so that committed couples in a same sex relationship have the same rights as a heterosexual couple.
My guess is that the powers that be are instrumental (via determining laws) in setting or deciding what is "morally" acceptable.

As such, they do have to move with the times once there is a critical mass of generic acceptance.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 12:54 PM

The first recorded evidence of marriage ceremonies uniting a man and a woman dates back to approximately 2350 BC, in ancient Mesopotamia (Middle East).

When did religion become involved? As the Roman Catholic Church became a powerful institution in Europe, the blessings of a priest became a necessary step for a marriage to be legally recognized. By the eighth century, marriage was widely accepted in the Catholic church as a sacrament ...
https://theweek.com/articles/528746/origins-marriage
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2021, 01:25 PM

And you need a certificate, which proves you have to be certified to be married

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top