Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 08:42 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Tell a lie RJ, once I went onto one of those Genealogy Sites, and put a relatives name in (which was quite a unique name) and date, and place of birth. The database said something like "We have found 75,000 results for that search", see, I wanted quality, not quantity.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 08:47 AM

The internet has worked wonders for genealogy. I have found that it has become a compulsive disorder which only seems to kick in at about the 50 or 60 year mark. I have insured that all my records will be available when I have kicked the bucket so that my kids can take over.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 08:49 AM

Morning all,

I'm still half asleep but have caught up with the numerous unread by me, posts for the last week.

How we do stagger from topic to topic, from the ridiculous to the sublime & all points in between.

What would a Martian make of it all on a routine stopover in their so far unsuccessful quest to find intelligent life outside of their spheres of influence?

Don't ever change fellow scribblers
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 08:49 AM

I just wrote my name on a couple of walls which have since been demolished.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Tell a lie RJ, once I went onto one of those Genealogy Sites, and put a relatives name in (which was quite a unique name) and date, and place of birth. The database said something like "We have found 75,000 results for that search", see, I wanted quality, not quantity.
I get the picture, but you need to give more info after which , the possible matches will drop in number dramatically.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

06-10-2018, 08:54 AM

All it specifically asked for was name, date and place of birth, doubt there were 75,000 residents on that place and time.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

06-10-2018, 08:55 AM

Databases, who needs them?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

06-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ciderman ->
The internet has worked wonders for genealogy. I have found that it has become a compulsive disorder which only seems to kick in at about the 50 or 60 year mark. I have insured that all my records will be available when I have kicked the bucket so that my kids can take over.
Quite so Ciderman. I guessed you might have partaken in this addictive pastime, you come across as very organised.

My records are all on my PC, but I don't really trust6 modern gadgets and so have HARD copy of all my documents and records, photos and trees.

Fortunately, my offspring have caught the bug (ages 33, 43 & 46) & have already turned one branch of the TREE into a hardbound book.

Hey ho!
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 09:02 AM

In 2012, I found a sealed bottle in a small limestone cave while I was hiding a geocache. It was sealed with wax but inside the clear glass you could read a piece of rolled paper with a small note written on it. It said "Greetings to the future. Leonard Whittington 1896. I worked as a part time assistant in the local Settlers Museum and I went immediately to look through the records for this man, whose name rang a bell with me but I could not remember more. It seems that he was the local brewery manager and this note was found in a bottle embossed with the "Waipawa Brewery" insigna.
Since then I have been so intrigued with the idea that I have hidden several clear bottles with a note inside that could be read through the glass.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

06-10-2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
All it specifically asked for was name, date and place of birth, doubt there were 75,000 residents on that place and time.
Ok Spitfire, it doesn't suit every body.

I expect you are not short of interests built up over the years,
how is the outside loo coming on?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top