Join for free
Page 7 of 28 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 10:59 AM

Re: Had enough of the UK

II shall never leave this country.
It is still 'Home' to me, warts an' all.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
II shall never leave this country.
It is still 'Home' to me, warts an' all.
Mups it looks like there won't be many of us left here soon.
Oh well at least it should be easier to get an appointment with the doctors
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Haha, that's true Meg.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 01:11 PM

Could it be that Britain is no longer good, because there is a change of attitude by many British people?

Many don't want to work hard and do well, they want the easy option and then complain if it isn't good enough.

I listen to the news and am now surprised if they don't report a violent crime, & how many times can we get through a week without hearing of somebody committing child abuse.

We all feel sorry for the homeless, but how many of us buy a loaf of bread & a dozen eggs to make a pile of cheap sandwiches to take out and feed them?

We can never see fault with our own families, but every criminal has a family & so do those who don't like work. It is easy to blame the government, but how many of us try to make this country a better place?
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
For me, the best times were the '50s and '60s.

We were still leading the world in many fields, such as engineering, aircraft design and production and others. Our roads were well constructed and in good condition, motorways were being built and extended, and there were far fewer vehicles on the roads and, consequently, travelling was much more efficient. Similarly, the railway system worked far better than it does now, even though the engines were mostly still steam powered.

Yes, we had immigrants from the third world, but those people came here to work and were an asset to the country. The newly formed NHS was efficient and effective and, as far as I know, there were no long waiting times and queues both in hospitals and GPs. Dental treatments was free, too.

Over my lifetime (I was born in 1952) I have seen the country deteriorate in many ways, and this has gone on for decades; certainly not since Brexit was voted for!

There is a hope for improvement after Brexit, but even so our politicians are of very low quality these days so I'm not holding my breath.
The 50s and 60s when you was young and carefree, with hardly any responsibilities ?
We still lead the world in many things till this day.

So you don't remember cars broken down beside the road on bank holiday weekends with steam billowing out of radiators, pre MOT ?
You cannot have commuted into a major town by train.......in the 60s or 70s then they sold the railways off, and they got worse.....much worse.
Dentistry is now largely privatised, a dry run to monetise the NHS, a victim of austerity.
You obviously don't remember the "No Irish No Blacks" signs, or the rise of the NF later to morph into the BNP.

Most things look a lot better from a distance, especially through rose tinted glasses.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

14-08-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
It's an interesting dichotomy is it not?

Disgruntled Brits who don't like the growing influx of foreigners into the country decide the solution is to go to another country and thereby become the "foreign invaders" themselves to that new country. Kinda bizarre really.

I wonder if the Spanish are resentful of the mass emigration of Brits to their country and the impact it has had in certain towns and cities?
I can see where you are coming from but when we are in Spain we are fully independent i.e. not claiming anything from their Government, we have private health insurance and dental. We fully integrate into the community, are learning the language and put a lot into their economy unlike a lot of the hoards that come to the UK.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by panda ->
i can see where you are coming from but when we are in spain we are fully independent i.e. Not claiming anything from their government, we have private health insurance and dental. We fully integrate into the community, are learning the language and put a lot into their economy unlike a lot of the hoards that come to the uk.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
It doesn't matter, Meg. OFF is international!

So when I move to Pakistan, I shall still be able to visit.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 03:24 PM

I think she's talkin about 'boots on the ground' JBR?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
The 50s and 60s when you was young and carefree, with hardly any responsibilities ?
We still lead the world in many things till this day.

So you don't remember cars broken down beside the road on bank holiday weekends with steam billowing out of radiators, pre MOT ?
You cannot have commuted into a major town by train.......in the 60s or 70s then they sold the railways off, and they got worse.....much worse.
Dentistry is now largely privatised, a dry run to monetise the NHS, a victim of austerity.
You obviously don't remember the "No Irish No Blacks" signs, or the rise of the NF later to morph into the BNP.

Most things look a lot better from a distance, especially through rose tinted glasses.
Not too good at reading, eh?

Cars have always broken down.

In the '50s and early '60s, we had British Rail.

Dental treatment was free then.

We had black people round our way. There was, I remember, a house with 'Banaas' on the door. We passed it on the way to the swimming baths for school swimming lessons and I'll always remember my mate laughing out loud and shouting "Bananas!".

Page 7 of 28 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top