Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 04:35 PM

Re: Depression

Depression of one sort of another will feature in many, many lives-one is not a loony nor inadequate.

I still get down and yes had 6 months of counselling plus SSRIs-it helped.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 04:38 PM

As someone has already said it's good to share and to know You're not alone Steve....Though I must admit I didn't become depressed as I always knew things would improve,and of course they did...but like most other Folks I get pissed-off now and again,hey ,,that's normal :~)
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 04:39 PM

It is comforting to realise that you are not the only one who can find life difficult sometimes. That is why support groups are good.
I'm not keen on woe is me naval gazing, even though that is exactly how you can feel sometimes.
One or two small positives can transform your day. It doesn't have to be anything major.
Hearing what other people have gone through and realising you're fortunate helps.
Then you have to be kind to yourself and give yourself a pat on the back for what you have achieved despite the difficulties .
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 06:09 PM

This is a response to all of you since my last post:

Thank you so much for your thoughts and kind words, as I realize we all have "what if's" and wish we had done things differently. It's just sometimes it really gets me down. But I suppose you're right, it's life. And it reminded me of something once said by an older lady in a movie I have.

She said, "You think too much about the time you have left, you don't spend it living."

When I heard that while watching the movie, those words hit me pretty hard. And I thought well jeez, I'm going to waste the REST of my life kicking myself in the ass for wasting all the years that are behind me. Years I can't do much about now.

Davenorave, I too have become reclusive. Not in the sense that I completely lock myself away, but I really have no desire to associate with many people. I used to have a very active social life and over the years I've slowly, one by one, either deliberately or unwittingly, kicked them out of my life. But my situation sounds like it's more of a choice than yours. You sound really down about your lack of communication with people. So I'm going to ask you, do you want that to change? Me, I'm perfectly content having the social life of a slug, but it sounds to me that you're NOT happy that way.

And yes, regret is a wasted emotion. And also a hurtful one. And I'm so tired of being depressed all the time because of things I've done in my past that I shouldn't have or because of things I haven't done that I wanted to.

Getting older has really taken its toll on my mind. 30's, meh, just another decade of 20's. 40's, those didn't really phase me much either. But I have to keep telling myself over and over again that I'm 50 years (51) because I still can't believe it. With my wild past lifestyle, I'm surprised I made it this far (seriously, with some of the REALLY stupid things I've done, I should have been dead long ago) yet at the same time being this age is somewhat difficult to accept.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by aquablue ->
As someone has already said it's good to share and to know You're not alone Steve....Though I must admit I didn't become depressed as I always knew things would improve,and of course they did...but like most other Folks I get pissed-off now and again,hey ,,that's normal :~)
Depression is worse than being pissed off. But yes, being pissed off is being normal. Even people can piss you off sometime.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
This is a response to all of you since my last post:

Thank you so much for your thoughts and kind words, as I realize we all have "what if's" and wish we had done things differently. It's just sometimes it really gets me down. But I suppose you're right, it's life. And it reminded me of something once said by an older lady in a movie I have.

She said, "You think too much about the time you have left, you don't spend it living."

When I heard that while watching the movie, those words hit me pretty hard. And I thought well jeez, I'm going to waste the REST of my life kicking myself in the ass for wasting all the years that are behind me. Years I can't do much about now.

Davenorave, I too have become reclusive. Not in the sense that I completely lock myself away, but I really have no desire to associate with many people. I used to have a very active social life and over the years I've slowly, one by one, either deliberately or unwittingly, kicked them out of my life. But my situation sounds like it's more of a choice than yours. You sound really down about your lack of communication with people. So I'm going to ask you, do you want that to change? Me, I'm perfectly content having the social life of a slug, but it sounds to me that you're NOT happy that way.

And yes, regret is a wasted emotion. And also a hurtful one. And I'm so tired of being depressed all the time because of things I've done in my past that I shouldn't have or because of things I haven't done that I wanted to.

Getting older has really taken its toll on my mind. 30's, meh, just another decade of 20's. 40's, those didn't really phase me much either. But I have to keep telling myself over and over again that I'm 50 years (51) because I still can't believe it. With my wild past lifestyle, I'm surprised I made it this far (seriously, with some of the REALLY stupid things I've done, I should have been dead long ago) yet at the same time being this age is somewhat difficult to accept.
Woah! The things I could tell you................

Glad you joined us then Linda? stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 06:45 PM

Think we all have a tale to tell Steve. My thoughts are with everyone suffering from depression. It's hellish.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 07:12 PM

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate being able to talk to people about this because I really don't have anyone else to talk to. My cousin and I are close, yes, but she's one of those "go to the doctor and get a prescription" type of folk who thinks everything can be fixed with a pill. And it just can't.

I was on anti-anxiety meds for a few years, that I weaned myself off of. And while they served their purpose at the time, the initial side-effects of starting the drug and then the withdrawal from coming down off of them, was a bloody nightmare.
Madamenotmiss
BROOKLYN
Madamenotmiss is female  Madamenotmiss has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2015, 07:42 PM

Thank you, I have only joined last nite and I love it here already, everyone is so kind and supportive. Glad I found you guys !!
13Smiles
London
13Smiles is male 

16-01-2015, 07:45 PM

Dear Tess

I have experienced depression so do feel what you have written. May I say this.... Today is a new day, yesterday has now passed and we cant do anything about it.... tomorrow has yet to arrive so we cant deal with that either..... so maybe why worry about them.... Today is here, now, we can deal with that be it as best we can. Sometimes it can be a dark lonely day, yet taking it slowly and looking for a glimmer of light does help... Please do feel free to drop by my page if you ever want to talk.

:>)

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top