Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 01:07 AM

Re: The Flu Jab

Thanks Mups wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't know if anyone heard the news today, about this years flu jab? Now they are saying it has only protected 3% of the people who had it.
3% !
So 97% of people who went for the treatment still got the flu.

Did you have the flu jab? Did you get the flu this year?
Mups I don't think that is quite the case .The flu vaccination is a cocktail of various strains deemed by the WHO to be prevalent in one particular year.

As I understand it this year one strain of the virus was not included in the vaccine so most people who have had the vaccination this year are protected against those strains which were included but obviously not the one which wasn't.
I was vaccinated in October.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 01:11 AM

I don't know anymore than what they were saying Meg. It does make sense what you say, but I don't think that was quite how it was portrayed. Why didn't they include the missing strain?
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 01:16 AM

It's because the flu virus changes all the time, they can only use it as it is when they are making the vaccine but if it changes after that then it can still infect people.

Cold viruses mutate and change all the time too which is one of the reasons people keep getting colds.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 01:19 AM

I don't know anymore than what they were saying Meg. It does make sense what you say, but I don't think that was quite how it was portrayed. Why didn't they include the missing strain?
Mups that is how it was explained on the radio this morning
and this is why one strain wasn't included..
Phin added: “In Australia, a new variant emerged last summer that we found wasn’t a match with the vaccine.” But he said at that stage concerns that it would hit the UK were “pure speculation”. He also conceded that WHO first detected the strain in March, but even that was too late to produce an effective vaccine in time for this winter.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...-health-strain
It reads slightly differently on the BBC site..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31145604
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

07-02-2015, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
I got the flu this year, and I can honestly say it was terrible, it started on Jan 5th and I'm still not really over it. I had a high temperature and pain in my joints, terrible headache and cough and even stomach ache.
I couldn't sleep properly and was just waking and sleeping at all kinds of strange times of the day and night and having nightmares.
I was barely able to wash myself and do my teeth, was so exhausted and the tiredness has been with me since but is now finally getting better.
Anita that sounds dreadful I have to attend the asthma clinic next thursday held in the doctors surgery and I am scared of catching the flu there

I hope you are better now...
Anita
Midlands, UK

07-02-2015, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Anita that sounds dreadful I have to attend the asthma clinic next thursday held in the doctors surgery and I am scared of catching the flu there

I hope you are better now...
Thank you Meg, it wasn't fun and also the post viral fatigue and feeling of depression which can also go with it.
I think the virus isn't as active now so hopefully you will be ok.
The best thing you can do is make sure you wash your hands as soon as you get home and don't touch your face or eyes etc while you are there as that's the most common way of catching it rather than from people coughing etc.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 08:51 AM

Poor you Anita. Glad you're on the men now though.
Ha ha sorry to laugh but i think you mean't to say the word Mend.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2015, 08:58 AM

Poor you Anita. Glad you're on the men now though.
See we are a cure for everything, unless of course we have Man Flu.

Only had the jab once it made me ill.
Anita
Midlands, UK

07-02-2015, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Suzuki Sue ->
Ha ha sorry to laugh but i think you mean't to say the word Mend.

Bring on the men

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top