Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 12:13 PM

is it inevitable?

Is it inevitable that if you've been overweight for a long time that'll you'll always end up with physical problems later on? Or would you have suffered them anyway?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 12:20 PM

Re: is it inevitable?

My husband is a twin, his twin is stick thin, always has been and my husband is a chunky chap always has been.
Both are waiting for knee replacements one because he wore his out jogging and the other possibly due to weight and a manual job all his life. Both needed glasses at same time, both have arthritis in their hands.

The other 2 brothers one fat and one thin have also had knee problems all of them it's the left knee !
Also interesting IMO I have high blood pressure and have been fat all my life, my 2 sisters also have it and have been thin all their lives, my brother doesn't have it and is fat but he has lived his entire life outside our family circle in USA on a farm so had a very different life style entirely.

To me that says it matters very little.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 12:35 PM

Just shows you Julie. It doesn't have to make a difference.

I asked because we were having a conversation at work and most of them thought being big meant you inevitably end up with big medical problems in the long run.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 01:05 PM

My husband has always been fit.. I always said I married a greek god,, you know rippeling muscles dark wavy hair..YUM YUM.
For his age he still looks great..

But his work was physical and now his ankle and knee are ruined. He has wear on his neck vertebrea which has caused pain and numbness to his shoulder on one side. On the other he has had to have an op to relieve bone wear and inflammation caused by over straining the joint.

He has white finger ( a secondary form of Raynaud's syndrome,) cause by all the drilling and machine vibrations.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

08-02-2015, 01:44 PM

Cass, yes I also think your occupation comes into it. It's not just about being overweight.

Sounds like you still love your handsome hunk
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Cass, yes I also think your occupation comes into it. It's not just about being overweight.

Sounds like you still love your handsome hunk
What can I say ?

The manufactuers guarantee has run out, I didnt take extended warrenty and even that would be doubtful after nearly 34 years.. Of course for a model as old as OH spare parts are hard to come by too so I just have to put up with the daft old begger..
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

08-02-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
What can I say ?

The manufactuers guarantee has run out, I didnt take extended warrenty and even that would be doubtful after nearly 34 years.. Of course for a model as old as OH spare parts are hard to come by too so I just have to put up with the daft old begger..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
What can I say ?

Brilliant
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2015, 03:45 PM

You can't be certain to escape some conditions just because you're slim but I think you are more prone to knee problems if you're overweight as well as some other ailments.

As for work causing some problems, while I agree it does, my OH has Raynaud's, white finger and he's been an accountant all his life so, obviously, if you're gonna get something, you will get it.
Must be in the genes....
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Is it inevitable that if you've been overweight for a long time that'll you'll always end up with physical problems later on? Or would you have suffered them anyway?
Think if your bit over weight and your BMI is low then No

If your Obese then Yes.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top