Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 07:37 PM

Re: is it inevitable?

Originally Posted by sue_arnold ->
Think if your bit over weight and your BMI is low then No

If your Obese then Yes.
You could be right Sue. BMI seems to be the thing to watch. I have to admit mines isn't good
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Is it inevitable that if you've been overweight for a long time that'll you'll always end up with physical problems later on? Or would you have suffered them anyway?
Of course it isn't inevitable, but it's likely. Also depends on what you call overweight. Hugely obese or a stone or two more than you should be must make a difference.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 08:22 PM

I've never been so unhealthy as I am at this moment in time and it all started after I pigged out for 3 months and put on over 2 stone. Not saying you can't be healthy and heavy but it sure is alien to me. My lifestyle just doesn't go well with a gain in weight at all.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 11:15 PM

Why you shouldnt just use a BMI to judge.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/255712.php
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Of course it isn't inevitable, but it's likely.
Exactly.
Being overweight puts you at a higher risk of developing problems.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 11:22 PM

Theres a lot of info there Cass but I think they are right to some extent and that waist measurement is also a good indication.
Having excess weight around the waist area can mean a higher risk of heart disease etc, people who are an apple shape and put weight on there first are more likely to store fat internally too.
I'm one of those and put on weight around my waist easily whereas I don't put any on the hips area or around my face and neck etc.
I have to keep my BMI quite low to keep my waist line ok.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 11:26 PM

Most people my age, in their 50's, that I know, have weight around their waist. It does seem to come with age. Middle age spread, so they say. It does certainly seem to become a problem at this age.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 12:11 AM

Yes I found it got a lot worse with the menopause so I decided to stick to a set number of calories a day and it did come off.
That was the easiest bit though, I now have to stay that way to fit in the smaller jeans etc as I have got rid of the large ones.
It's a bit of a battle but I do have cravings for things !!!!!!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Yes I found it got a lot worse with the menopause so I decided to stick to a set number of calories a day and it did come off.
That was the easiest bit though, I now have to stay that way to fit in the smaller jeans etc as I have got rid of the large ones.
It's a bit of a battle but I do have cravings for things !!!!!!
I know what you mean, here, Anita - I'm the same but I find if I don't buy rubbish, I won't eat it, can't stop the cravings, though.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 12:36 PM

Probably depends when and where the weight goes on, if for example say you are a bloke, who for the first 35 years of life was 11 stone wet, then say because of a lifestyle change, the weight goes up to 14 stones, the three extra stone sitting around the midriff area, that could be a recipe fro disaster, although 14 stones in itself would not be considered a massive weight. IMO.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top