Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 01:50 PM

Re: The black dog

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Funny how odd things stick in folks minds

Although reading the folklore of Black dogs one can understand why Winston Churchill gave depression the title

http://ilovewerewolves.com/black-dog-superstitions/

Sadly it can be a life andeath matter for the dog (or cat)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...color-fur.html

Sorry didnt intend to hijack the thread..
My family have suffered with depression of different sorts for many years and its interesting to see that while medical progress has been made albeit slow, the stigma is almost as bad now as it was when my father had it back in the 1970's.
Cass you haven't hijacked it at all.

How sad about the poor wee black dogs and cats . Aren't people funny?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 03:52 PM

Think its worse now Cass with all the closures of places to help people with the condition, even though much more is known about mental illness.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 04:55 PM

It took me quite long time to realise my absolute lows were actually an acknowledged illness.

A lot of men, including me, tended to think of depression as some kind of weakness or failing so it's a step in the right direction that it is acknowledged far more that it once was.

I remember a friend from long ago who obviously suffered from depression but I didn't understand that at that time.

His treatment was appalling because his mother had him sectioned and I was with him when they turned up for him - I didn't believe that this was commonplace back then.

I tried several times to see him but it was like he no longer existed and, even now, I often wonder what happened to him.

Another friend of mine had PTSD from an awful experience in Northern Ireland in the Army.

Luckily he had friends and a fantastic family to help him but I often wondered how many didn't have that safety net and depression in a friend or family member can be quite harrowing for friends and relatives to have to deal with. stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
It took me quite long time to realise my absolute lows were actually an acknowledged illness.

A lot of men, including me, tended to think of depression as some kind of weakness or failing so it's a step in the right direction that it is acknowledged far more that it once was.

I remember a friend from long ago who obviously suffered from depression but I didn't understand that at that time.

His treatment was appalling because his mother had him sectioned and I was with him when they turned up for him - I didn't believe that this was commonplace back then.

I tried several times to see him but it was like he no longer existed and, even now, I often wonder what happened to him.

Another friend of mine had PTSD from an awful experience in Northern Ireland in the Army.

Luckily he had friends and a fantastic family to help him but I often wondered how many didn't have that safety net and depression in a friend or family member can be quite harrowing for friends and relatives to have to deal with. stevmk2
Steve, you've just showed the stigma of depression is a disgrace. I like to think we've moved on, if even slightly, nowadays. Any, ANY one of us can suffer from depression at any time. No one is immune, whether they like to think it or not. They do say more sensitive, caring people seem to suffer.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2015, 09:25 PM

I think I've mentioned on this forum before that I've taken AD's.

Depression isn't feeling 'fed up' or a bit down, it's mental pain, with the pain being as hard to deal with as physical pain.
I remember describing it once to a GP who said it was very helpful as she couldn't imagine it and it's hard to if you haven't experienced it.
The worse thing is feeling so bad about yourself and so worthless, which is common. Some people feel guilty for just existing when very depressed.

There are triggers in those who are susceptible, teenagers can be at risk during the hormonal changes of that time and for women the menopause can be a trigger, major life changes are also a factor, but it depends on the individual.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 02:52 PM

I've been saying that about dogs for ages on here.

They is evul .
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 03:43 PM

MKJ it's a shame you feel the need to make a 'funny' comment on many threads where the subject matter, ie depression in this case is something which causes a lot of people and especially young people to take their own lives.
There are people who have lost a family member in this way possibly on the forum.
I can see you feel the need to get people's attention and post for that and shock value, fair enough, start the threads where you do that.

You may very well say that anything is fair game and you can say what you like but I would just ask you to have a little respect for those who have struggled sometimes all their lives with depression and also those who have lost a loved one for this reason.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2015, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
MKJ it's a shame you feel the need to make a 'funny' comment on many threads where the subject matter, ie depression in this case is something which causes a lot of people and especially young people to take their own lives.
There are people who have lost a family member in this way possibly on the forum.
I can see you feel the need to get people's attention and post for that and shock value, fair enough, start the threads where you do that.

You may very well say that anything is fair game and you can say what you like but I would just ask you to have a little respect for those who have struggled sometimes all their lives with depression and also those who have lost a loved one for this reason.
Whatever.

I don't like being preached to so eh watch it.

'They' could always ban me. I'm bored out of my skull here so that is why I treat all threads so flippantly I suppose.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

16-02-2015, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Whatever.

I don't like being preached to so eh watch it.

'They' could always ban me. I'm bored out of my skull here so that is why I treat all threads so flippantly I suppose.
I don't think you are bored MKJ. I think you are actually very down. Surely you don't want to be banned? Then what would you do? There are people here ready to listen to anyone's troubles and woes. I've a feeling you have your fair share of them. I'm not preaching, I'm just trying to be understanding.

It's true, depression isn't something to joke about. It's a horrible torment. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I seriously hope you are not going down that path as I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

It's a hellish illness. Lacking in understanding by some because it's not something you can "see".
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

16-02-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
I don't think you are bored MKJ. I think you are actually very down. Surely you don't want to be banned? Then what would you do?
Don't be silly. Would a 'very down' person find this thread funny? Nope - bored, plain and simple.

As for being banned off here - eh? Would be doing me a favour believe me. You try getting yourself banned off here - it is bloody hard going. This forum is just one of many - no big loss to me .

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top