Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 02:09 PM

Re: Dementia Comfort

The reason for the price of the new interactive one is probably because it's just been developed, in Sweden by the looks of it and uses the latest robotics, developing something costs money and the manufacturers and developers need to recoup costs.
It will probably get much cheaper with time.
Great if you can get a toy which does the job though and spares the expense.

I've seen dementia patients holding dolls which are sometimes a great comfort but I can see that an interactive 'pet' would be very helpful for them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 02:14 PM

I'm going to order the one Cass suggested as I can see no other like it
Its pretty much the same as the £1000 one

@Julie - I had a look at the PAT site - they do cats as well, so looked at volunteers nearby, there was one, unfortunately didn't say if it were a dog or cat, so will phone the lady to see ...........
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 05:02 PM

Im glad the tip was helpful ...I just happened to spot them when I was looking at toys for my grandchildren...
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 08:24 PM

I got this for a relation in a care home who has dementia. It doesn't do-anything just soft and cuddly to hold, she's deaf so wouldn't hear it anyway it's just a comfort as she always had a cat.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2015, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
What a lovely lady you are Patsy.

Hope you find what you need for her.

Wonder if there is a pats scheme for cats, we used to take the late Mollie into local care home and to a couple of private homes for people who could no longer have a dog and she loved it as much as the ladies and gentlemen who cuddled and petted her.
I echo all three comments, you are obviously a very caring person Patsy. If there is no PATS scheme for cats have you thought about dogs, as Julie said a small dog would love it and I think your friend would too.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 09:48 AM

Hello Harvey - I got a very nice Email from the lady at PATS - unfortunately there are no cats in the area to offer and my lady adores them.
So, I will get her the next best thing
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-02-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
I got this for a relation in a care home who has dementia. It doesn't do-anything just soft and cuddly to hold, she's deaf so wouldn't hear it anyway it's just a comfort as she always had a cat.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00
Hi Gabi - she actually has two of those, a mummy and baby one either side of the fireplace
digital granma
Co. Durham, England
digital granma is female  digital granma has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the info. An interesting idea for those who can't have a real cat or 2. My little black and white Poppy loves to be cuddled, brings the blood pressure down I bet.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by digital granma ->
My little black and white Poppy loves to be cuddled, brings the blood pressure down I bet.
It does, this has been proved many times.

What puts my blood pressure up is when we see some newspaper story saying that students at xyz unniversity have just done a research paper on this, talk about waste of money. It's been PROVED many times, the first research was done well before WWII and yet it still pops up on student thesis papers.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top