Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2011, 09:15 AM

Stocks and shares

Do any of you buy and sell shares regularly?

I switched over £7,200 from a Brittannia cash ISA and bought:
British Land, Vodaphone, Man Group and Aviva and PVCS.

I have made 24% on these (including dividends) in under a year.

A good website for a chat on stocks is LSE "London South East". Dont be taken in by the Aim listed penny shares chat and promises of riches.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Re: Stocks and shares

I once had £18,000 invested in shares, but got cold feet some years ago when the stockmarket took a dive and saw the investment begin to disappear. It took quite a few years to get back up again and as soon as I had made a little profit on the original investment (which took years) I sold them. I have never had the nerve to have another go. Now I ama retired I don't think I should take a risk with the money.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2011, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Elbee ->
A good website for a chat on stocks is LSE "London South East". Dont be taken in by the Aim listed penny shares chat and promises of riches.
Hi Elbee - I'll have to see if I can find that one, what user name do you use on it?

Another good one is ADVFN which I had a minor part in creating some 15 years ago when there were just 30 subscribers, now there are over 100,000

It's quite funny to watch the small time rampers and shorters thinking they can move markets isn't it?
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2011, 01:16 PM

It is also fun doing the ramping!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2011, 01:42 PM

Never had any luck I'm afraid, even the stocks and shares ISA I bought for £7000 ten years ago I've just cashed in for £2750!

Rather like going into a betting shop for me or playing the lottery, but I suppose there have to be as many losers as winners?
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2011, 05:45 PM

We had an stocks and shares ISA guarantee bond which we invested £10000 in for a five year period in 1995 with the fste at 3300, in 2000 when we cashed it in the fste was 6500 and that gave us a great return on our money, not as much as the high interest rates of the 80's but good non the less.

We took out a £20000 two year one in 2008 when the market crashed it down to 3865, well the only way was up from there, and cashed it in last year at 5741 which gave us a nice return.

The art of playing with the stock market is to buy low and sell when you have made enough to pay your tax on it and still have a profit. In other words, an educated guess. OR have a friend whose son is a finacier.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2011, 06:04 PM

Yes AB, who you know is always more helpful than what you know...
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Elbee ->
A good website for a chat on stocks is LSE "London South East"
Sorry have looked all over the LSE site and can't find it, is there a link you could post?

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
OR have a friend whose son is a finacier.
Ah yes insider trading is alive and well
Elbee
Chichester

03-03-2011, 09:15 AM

You need to do research and know what the markets is doing.

It is no good just buying some bank promoted "investment" tracking the FTSE.

You need to read Investors Chronicle and/or Money Week.

For what it is worth, the market will end this year with a small rise and then fall for tow years in my opinion.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Sorry have looked all over the LSE site and can't find it, is there a link you could post?

Ah yes insider trading is alive and well
It is not insider trading, it is getting advice from someone who has experience.
My tale and I am sticking to it.

Is this what your looking for Losos?

http://http://www.lse.co.uk/share-chat.asp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top