Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 11:43 AM

The flooding is a disgrace

Why is it that the Government can find money to bale out the bankers when they make a complete arse of their business and then somehow find money for a fast train from Birmingham to London.
But when the poor folks who are flooded their holms ruined their business destroyed and not a peep from the powers in Government. The money being used to help the Bankers and build a faster train is Taxpayers money. I would rather see my money put to use helping find ways to stop the flooding and helping the folk who have to fight with insurance companies
to rebuild their lives
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 11:49 AM

Re: The flooding is a disgrace

Good post Pathfinder, and I also think the government seem to have got their priorities wrong, and with our money..!
However, there were a lot of helicopters flying around yesterday and I understand that Boris came to visit...I wonder if he would have bothered had there not been an election looming.....And we're not London are we....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 11:52 AM

I agree. That railway is a stupid waste of money & just for an extra half an hour on a journey up North, disrupting countryside, sites of SSI's, destroying peoples homes, it's madness.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Aye,it is a damned disgrace that help wasn't forthcoming right away...of course We all saw Johnson wielding a mop for the photographers,about as much help as a chocolate teapot
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by May ->
Aye,it is a damned disgrace that help wasn't forthcoming right away...of course We all saw Johnson wielding a mop for the photographers,about as much help as a chocolate teapot
....Luv You May.....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 12:21 PM

I seem to remember when flooding happened in the south the then pm, ( Cameron I think ) was down there like a shot, as it was a key Tory area, a case of the effluent meeting the affluent
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 12:28 PM

I wonder how much it would cost to dredge the river against building flood defences. Dredging would be the quickest/easiiest short term way
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 01:22 PM

From what I have read about any of the flooding recently, not just what's happened now but last year and possibly the year before that, it's the lack of dredging, clearing rivers and streams that is the cause of excessive rainfall not being able to drain away.

Usual story – save money on something that is only going to cause problems and take more money to sort out, but it's money saved so looks good.

Get this country sorted in so many ways should be the priority of any government, of only we had one that was capable of doing so!
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 02:12 PM

I have to agree with everything that has been said. It seems to me that our own government is more interested in the well being of overseas people rather than their own.
In this morning,s paper China received £7.9 million £6.6 million of which went on teaching housewives how to reduce the salt content in cooking.
India received £2.2 million £1.5 million was to send texts to it,s citizens urging them to drink less.Chile received £30,000 to evaluate it,s sugar tax.Bangladesh received £800,0000 to try and teach against tobacco use.
And here is our own country getting little or no help with things like flooding, child poverty, homelessness etc;
All we get from our government on foreign aid is "But it,s only 0.7% of our annual budget"
Maybe it is only 0.7% but it,s 0.7% that would be better spent on problems in our own county. 0.7% is a lot of money
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2019, 02:14 PM

Change the HS2 plans slightly and convert it into a super dyke
to drain yorkshire and Lancashire and decant it into the Thames
above London?
Then when needed the Thames barrage could be closed to keep
the water IN not out?
Should be able to shut them up on demand then!!
Donkeyman!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top