Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 09:44 AM

Scam Warning for your grandkids!

Local student was scammed out of her loan by phone calls pretending to be police or bank (sorry can't remember which) told her account had been compromised and they'd set up an emergency account for her to use, transfer money immediately.
Poor kid was scared as never had so much money probably and did as she was told!
Lost the money, bank won't re-imburse. She will have to find money to stay in Uni and pay back loan with interest eventually!
Before anyone says anything nasty about teenagers, a lady in my old village was scammed in a similar way, they even sent "detectives" to her house!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 09:54 AM

Re: Scam Warning for your grandkids!

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Local student was scammed out of her loan by phone calls pretending to be police or bank (sorry can't remember which) told her account had been compromised and they'd set up an emergency account for her to use, transfer money immediately.
Poor kid was scared as never had so much money probably and did as she was told!
Lost the money, bank won't re-imburse. She will have to find money to stay in Uni and pay back loan with interest eventually!
Before anyone says anything nasty about teenagers, a lady in my old village was scammed in a similar way, they even sent "detectives" to her house!
This happened to someone I know and it was very convincing at the time. I feel really sorry for this young girl, particularly as the bank will not re-imburse the money.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:39 AM

"Which" have put a post about it on FB, amazing how many people have posted similar experiences.
It's horrible, these scammers have no feelings!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

30-09-2018, 10:43 AM

Whst amazes and scares me is that they know your phone number, address, bank account numbers, even how much you have, no personal info is beyond their reach!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Whst amazes and scares me is that they know your phone number, address, bank account numbers, even how much you have, no personal info is beyond their reach!
And when you think about it, who's fault is that? It's the bank's fault for insisting that everyone banks online.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Criminals are getting very clever so, if anybody gets calls like this over the phone, they should offer to call them back and ask what extension they are on.... but get a phone number from a reliable source,not the person calling. It also helps if you can borrow a friend's phone to call back....as it now seems that they are able to keep the line open, so you actually call the scammers back!
We all need to be extra careful, but younger people use their phones so much, that it seems perfectly normal, to them, if a bank or police phone them.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 10:49 AM

That's terrible Tessa
Thanks for the warning
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

30-09-2018, 10:58 AM

Just found it again, they knew all details including the number of a mobile they said was used which was her phone which had been stolen last year, also they used a real bank phone number, that's how clever they are getting!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 11:34 AM

Tess do you know if she reported it to the police?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2018, 01:15 PM

The papers keep doing articles on these scams. More and more people are getting caught out and I do wish they’d tread carefully when reacting to the calls. Or phone a family member or friend, for advice. I bet 100% would say, don’t do it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top