Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 12:39 AM

Re: Did Anyone Watch The New Watership Down?

Thank you for all your answers, Girls.
It was like the book
I didn't think the rabbits were as well done as in the film, they didn't move right to me, the original cartoon ones were cuter too & it was a bit darker in content. I probably will watch the next episode tomorrow, if nothing else on.
I preferred the original though & how will they top Bright Eyes. If they even have a song at the end!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 11:56 AM

No we watched the original and Grace recently finished reading the book. I saw the trailer and it was so dark I was peering at the screen. I just gave up at that point. Why make scenes so dark you can't see them ?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 12:13 PM

It was dark, but I've noticed a lot of dramas have been shot like that.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Thank you for all your answers, Girls.
It was like the book
I didn't think the rabbits were as well done as in the film, they didn't move right to me, the original cartoon ones were cuter too & it was a bit darker in content. I probably will watch the next episode tomorrow, if nothing else on.
I preferred the original though & how will they top Bright Eyes. If they even have a song at the end!
The independent review supports your experience:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8672131.html

Alas, and despite a glittering cast, the new Watership Down is spectacularly ho-hum – less tooth and claw than shrug and head-shake. The biggest issue with the four-part BBC-Netflix collaboration is that nobody involved seems to have paused to consider if, commercial imperative aside, there was a good reason for remaking Watership Down – already more than adequately served by Martin Rosen’s haunting 1978 movie.

So while the performances by James McAvoy, John Boyega, Gemma Arterton, Olivia Colman, Peter Capaldi and others, are top rank, what’s lacking is a willingness to wrestle with the themes explored in the novel – in particular Adams’s pessimistic view of animal (and by implication human) nature.

Because that’s the real problem with the new Watership Down: it simply isn’t scary enough. Where Rosen’s film was cobbled together on a shoe-string outside the studio system, this new version is very much a product for mass dissemination – and, thus by necessity, lacks the visceral knife-twisting of the earlier movie.

It’s breezy and fast-paced and, no matter how hairy the predicament in which the rabbits find themselves, entirely without menace. Even big baddie General Woundwort (Ben Kingsley) is comparatively cuddly – closer to a traditional Disney villain such as Scar from The Lion King than an milky-eyed avatar of evil to stalk your nightmares.

One glaring misstep is the cheap-looking CGI animation. Neither as realistic as Disney or Pixar nor as spare and elegant as the 1978 film, the new Watership Down is drab with a vengeance. Which is extraordinary considering the rumoured £20 million budget.

Nobody is suggesting the BBC should explicitly set out to unsettle unsuspecting viewers and no doubt there would be an outcry if Watership Down arrived slathered in buckets of blood. But without the darkness is Watership Down really Watership Down? And if you take away that malice and melancholy, what’s left? It’s a question the new adaptation never gets around to answering.
I watched a few minutes worth but was put off by the "clunky" animation and voices which seemed disembodied from the "characters" .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 12:40 PM

Watership Down was recently serialised on radio four , that was really good and very gripping. I couldn't wait for each episode.

It would take a lot to beat the 1978 production.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 02:07 PM

We recorded it to watch on Christmas evening, there's not much on at all that either of us fancy watching .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

23-12-2018, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The independent review supports your experience:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a8672131.html

I watched a few minutes worth but was put off by the "clunky" animation and voices which seemed disembodied from the "characters" .....
That sums it up completely. It isn't as good as the original.
Do watch it though, folks & form your own opinions, if you want to that is.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 10:05 PM

Still sad though .
Dark and rather frightening .
Just seen the second part
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

23-12-2018, 10:39 PM

I watched the second part, still don't think it as good as the original.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2018, 10:44 PM

As I said before, I didn't watch the first one so had nothing to compare it with.

I really enjoyed it, bit sad at the end though

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top