Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 06:24 PM

Southern Cornbread

Sweetie Pie, the secret to good, cornbread is preparing it in cast iron skillet (9" or 10") because it results in a good crust with a hearty texture.

Don't believe any recipe that calls for a baking dish or anything but a one-to-one ratio of flour to corn meal or you will end up with some light and fluffy concoction that a true southerner would consider to be an abject sin .

This recipe is started on the stove to establish the crust and then moved to the oven. It's very easy to make!

Ingredients
• 1 cup yellow
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 4 tablespoons sugar
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup milk
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use olive oil) + 2 to 3
Tablespoons of oil the skillet.

Cooking Instructions

First, crack eggs in bowl, beat lightly, add milk. Do this first so they can warm up a little. Preheat oven to 425° F. In large bowl, combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add milk, egg and oil. Mix by hand until fairly smooth, about 1 minute. (Using and electric mixer or beating it too long will prevent it from rising).

Place a cast iron skillet on stovetop (hob) and warm on medium with oil. The skillet is ready when a drop of the batter dripped in the skillet is sizzling. This is in an important step because the hot pan will help ensure a proper crust. (If the oil is smoking, it's too hot. If this happens, cool the pan, wipe it out and start over or your cornbread will have a burned crust.)

Pour batter into skillet. Let it sizzle for 30 seconds. Then move it to the hot oven and and bake for 20 to 23 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. The center will be hard to the touch and golden. Run a knife around the edge and use a spatula on the bottom to turn the bread out onto a plate and allow it to cool a little before serving. Cooling will prevent it from crumbling.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2019, 09:09 PM

Re: Southern Cornbread

Thank-you so much Suferbabe.
I will definitely be making this. x
We just don't have cornbread in England.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Thank-you so much Suferbabe.
I will definitely be making this. x
We just don't have cornbread in England.
Speak for yourself, I've made it a few times - it's the 'light and fluffy' concoction eschewed by Surfermum and uses either buttermilk or plain yoghurt mixed with milk. The acidity reacts with the baking powder/bi-carb to make the cake rise. I cook it in the oven in a six inch square tin.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Speak for yourself, I've made it a few times - it's the 'light and fluffy' concoction eschewed by Surfermum and uses either buttermilk or plain yoghurt mixed with milk. The acidity reacts with the baking powder/bi-carb to make the cake rise. I cook it in the oven in a six inch square tin.
What's this? That's a nice, fluffy, little savory cake you've got there, Judd. I am sure you have to anchor it down to keep it from floating away.

Haha. Just kidding. I'm sure it's delicious! Buttermilk is a fav or mine in pancakes and other breads to react as you describe; plus the back notes are delicious. Yum.

I'll let your density and texture issues slide since you are in Yorkshire and not down here in the river bottoms of the Deep South.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 10:37 AM

I've made it a few times too my lot prefer the light fluffy variety though they have had both. Must be because we are fluffy soft southerners You are a different breed surfermum
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 12:28 PM

Oh I see. We are having a competition.
See you in the Great hall for tasting later. X
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

02-01-2019, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've made it a few times too my lot prefer the light fluffy variety though they have had both. Must be because we are fluffy soft southerners [BY]You are a different breed surfermum [/B]
Ah, well, sooner or later I knew it would have to come to this, a division between cultures too deep, too jarring to ever come to some sort of compromise. A shame, really

And to think it was all over cornbread.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2019, 10:30 PM

Julie might be a fluffy soft Southerner but the only thing soft and fluffy in the hardened North is our cornbread, the recipe for which was taken over to the new found colony of what is now the United States on the Mayflower in 1620 as the Pilgrims escaped religious and dietary persecution. Cornbread, in it's original cooked in a frying pan recipe (no ovens in those days) was used in some religious ceremonies and given out at the beginning of Lent.

While the recipe in the US remained pretty static, cornbread in the UK developed, especially when King Charles II took the throne and the Royalists were re-instated. They all had sweet tooths and the new method of sugar extraction from beets made the cake/CB highly desirable amongst the gentry.

Here it is. Enjoy.

1 x cup plain flour (all-purpose)
1 x cup fine ground yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup caster sugar
1/2 tsp bi-carb (baking soda)
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup sunflower oil
2 x beaten eggs
1 x cup buttermilk

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl
Make a well in the middle then pour in the oil, eggs and buttermilk
Stir together lightly until mixed (don't overdo it) some lumps left in the batter is fine.
Pour the batter into an 8" square tin lined with greaseproof paper/baking parchment and place in a preheated oven (175C/375F) and cook for around 40 mins (less for a fan oven) or until well risen and a toothpick comes out clean when poked into the CB.

Allow to cool then get stuck in - you lot that is, I'm on a diet and it's not allowed.

Think I'd better skidaddle before Surfermom returns
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

03-01-2019, 12:11 AM

Thanks Judd now I am spoilt for choice.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

03-01-2019, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
Thanks Judd now I am spoilt for choice.
Variety and a second helping. Not a bad philosophy to have in life!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top