Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 12:47 AM

A Flying Telescope called SOFIA

This was one of the most engrossing articles that I have read for a long time. Absolutely fascinating, there is a lot of media involved and once started I doubt you will be able to stop reading.

SOFIA — the Stratospheric Observatory For Infrared Astronomy — offers a unique view of the stars because it flies above most of the water vapour that impedes telescopes on the ground.

But it has one other big advantage: you can put it exactly where you want it on the planet.

“We can take it places and get to events that otherwise there’s no telescope to get to,” says Karina. “And that’s what we’re doing tonight.”
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...titan/10635802

Wasn't the video of the stabilisation of the telescope amazing?

Over US$1 million per flight!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 09:03 AM

Re: A Flying Telescope called SOFIA

I've seen a couple of documentaries about this Bruce, staggering technology...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 02:37 PM

Amazing. I have read about half way and will finish the rest tonight when I get more time. Great website too.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2019, 02:56 AM

Fantastic share and a very well-written article. I am usually looking at observable to x-ray length wavelengths so this is fascinating and new to me. Thank you.

Now where do I sign up?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top