Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 07:06 PM

Re: Turn off your engine

Well, this time last year I'd have been buggered coz my car had starting problems (now resolved) and I would have caused chaos by stopping and being unable to restart.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Our council are proposing that you will be fined if you don’t turn off your engine when sitting in traffic,
It goes like this, you will be asked to turn off your engine..?..if you refuse you will receive a £20, fine
Quite who will do the asking, or how it will be policed, I’m not sure.. I assume they will take a photo of your registration and fine you through the DVLA, so watch out, your council will be doing the same, I expect..
I agree with it. Don't let it idle for more than one minute. Pollution aside, it is a waste of fuel.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 08:33 PM

What about wear n tear on your starter, points, plugs ect? Just saying.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 09:43 PM

My car's engine stops automatically when stood in non-moving traffic. It takes a dip of the clutch to start it again. Makes it more economical so they tell me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Half Loony then. Like you say, how could they possibly enforce it? A lot of cars switch off automatically now but how do you know when you should switch off. What about sitting at traffic lights? Just another money making scheme imo.
Will the council provide free recovery when you are in long traffic jams and, due to frequent re-starting, your battery has become flat?

Yes, if it is a council-led idea it will indeed be a money-making scheme, just like bus lanes.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 11:01 PM

I don't think it's anything to do with saving energy or contributing to pollution, it's meant to dissuade you from using your car in the city.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Will the council provide free recovery when you are in long traffic jams and, due to frequent re-starting, your battery has become flat?

Yes, if it is a council-led idea it will indeed be a money-making scheme, just like bus lanes.
Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't think it's anything to do with saving energy or contributing to pollution, it's meant to dissuade you from using your car in the city.
Also a way to make us all go out and buy new cars with auto-cut off which is great - if you can afford it. No doubt while we are all doing this, aeroplanes will still be able to dump excess fuel into the atmosphere.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Well, this time last year I'd have been buggered coz my car had starting problems (now resolved) and I would have caused chaos by stopping and being unable to restart.
Originally Posted by Roxy ->
What about wear n tear on your starter, points, plugs ect? Just saying.
With older cars, I can't see it would be a good idea to keep stopping and starting. If you stuck in an obvious traffic jam then OK.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2019, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
My car's engine stops automatically when stood in non-moving traffic. It takes a dip of the clutch to start it again. Makes it more economical so they tell me.

Helps it get a better score in the EU standard fuel consumption test, as cheated by VW. These cars also require special stop/start batteries which older cars don't have and their batteries won't cope with this.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2019, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Also a way to make us all go out and buy new cars with auto-cut off which is great - if you can afford it. No doubt while we are all doing this, aeroplanes will still be able to dump excess fuel into the atmosphere.
Our car has auto-cut off, but I usually disable it (a switch behind the gear stick), because I don't like the idea of depleting the battery charge. Perhaps I'm worrying unnecessarily.

I know they're designed that way, but I'm not concerned about a slight waste of fuel that it would save. If i were stuck in a long traffic jam for some considerable time, OK, but not for a minute or two.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top