Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 07:40 AM

Feeding Birds

i used to have loads of birds coming to my garden to feed however since I had some building work last year they seem to have been put off entirely .
Not that I blame them my builders would make anyone take flight if they could .
How can I entice them back ?
I have feeders/tables etc the same as before .
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 09:08 AM

Re: Feeding Birds

Don't know Muddy, is the food visable, so that they can see it?

I have loads of birds, which I feed them 3 times a day, and i'm hoping that when I move, the Lady who is buying our House will feed them, as they are all residents to my garden.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 09:35 AM

Yes it is but the birds dont t seem to trust the garden anymore .i did notice in the snow cat pawprints and my husband has seen a cat which we have never had before so maybe it's lurking somewhere and putting the birds off .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Yes it is but the birds dont t seem to trust the garden anymore .i did notice in the snow cat pawprints and my husband has seen a cat which we have never had before so maybe it's lurking somewhere and putting the birds off .
Hi

I can understand that Muddy.

Things were fine until 3 weeks ago, then I had an outbreak of cats in my garden.

No birds and cat poo everywhere.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 10:23 AM

That's a shame Muddy, I agree, sounds like something is worrying the birds.
You could be right about the cat, the un-neutered Toms will be on the prowl for this years breeding season any time now.

I don't know what you can do though. Can you see where the footprints come from, where the cat is coming in?
What a pity we don't have Nom to ask this year.

Just one thought though, have you changed the feed, I know my wild birds seem to prefer some seed to others. They always leave the Niger seed.

I have been adding mealworms and finely chopped nuts to the seed mix recently, and they are enjoying that.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That's a shame Muddy, I agree, sounds like something is worrying the birds.
You could be right about the cat, the un-neutered Toms will be on the prowl for this years breeding season any time now.

I don't know what you can do though. Can you see where the footprints come from, where the cat is coming in?
What a pity we don't have Nom to ask this year.

Just one thought though, have you changed the feed, I know my wild birds seem to prefer some seed to others. They always leave the Niger seed.

I have been adding mealworms and finely chopped nuts to the seed mix recently, and they are enjoying that.
Interesting, I have just started doing that too and have attracted more Robins and for the first time, a couple of wagtails into the garden.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

05-02-2019, 11:04 AM

I feed a premium mix as well as loads of fat balls .
The fat balls used to go in a morning now they don't seem to like them .
I don t feed niger as they never seem to get eaten .
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 01:28 PM

Can you put the Feeders higher up, so that no Cats can get near them.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

05-02-2019, 01:45 PM

They are up high Sue.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 05:23 PM

How long as this been going on Muddy?

I do find the are suspicious for a few days or a week if anything changes, like moving their feeders, or a different looking feeder, or even a very different food?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top