Join for free
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 09:22 AM

Butterfly and bumble bee, too early?

Yesterday I had a beautiful bright yellow butterfly in my garden, I think it was a Brimstone. It was too swift for me to find my phone to photogragh it.
The day before there was a big fat bumble bee out the front.
Hedgehogs have been active too.

It seems much too early to me.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 09:30 AM

Re: Butterfly and bumble bee, too early?

I also so saw a big fat bumble bee in the garden yesterday Tess.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 09:30 AM

I have seen a number of bumblebees on my primulas taking advantage of the sun and there is almond blossom and daffodils in abundance
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 11:32 AM

We just said in the gardening section we are finding caterpillers, snails, slugs, ladybirds, bees and butterflies already, and I have also found 4 of my tubs have the dreaded Vine Weeval.
So much so for biological Nematodes I used twice last year!

There was a sharp frost her last night again.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2019, 12:07 PM

Yes, here too, I wonder if the bees survive frosts?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, here too, I wonder if the bees survive frosts?
If they are Bumbles - they will - they go back into their dens and sleep until the next fine day. How do I know this? Because there are two of them living in my garage.

I suppose Honey bees would survive frost as well by returning to their hives. Not sure about any others.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 05:13 AM

I love bees...they are always so busy. I haven't seen any in my garden as yet which is surprising as my neighbour has 3 hives...hope they survived the frosts.
toners
Cheshire
toners is male  toners has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 02:53 PM

Tree Bumble bee- popped out when the sun was shining. Seems to come from under a pump in the garden. Sometimes gets caught out when there is sun but no food- revives with a few grains of sugar!

peripheral
GB
peripheral is male  peripheral has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 05:49 PM

Great photo.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top