Join for free
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2019, 02:22 PM

Updating

How many devices do you have that need updating to a newer firmware?

I've got too many to count. This morning my headphones bleeped me to tell me that there was an update available.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2019, 06:15 PM

Re: Updating

IMHO don't fiz what isn't broken.

One of the quickest ways to knacker a computer system or devices is to constantly download the latest version of the software or firmware. Why do you need it? What specific benefit does the latest release offer that you can't do without?

My FIL was perpetually downloading latest versions of things and lastest firmwares. Caused all manner of problems which I inevtiably had to fix.

I would only update firmware if I was experiencing a problem which would likely be solved by having the lastest version.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2019, 09:18 PM

That's roughly the same attitude I have; when they say fixes bugs and improves performance I've not experienced the bugs or poorer performance.

Still, I usually update. It won't be long before tooth brushes and shavers will need new firmwares.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 08:49 AM

I recently bought an e-bike. The battery and electronics that drives the assistive motor is integrated into one block. A trouble I had shortly after getting the bike was that the battery wouldn't charge.

I took it back to the shop a couple of times for the problem. On the second time of looking at it, they did a firmware update. There's no trouble with charging the battery now. An update that was definitely worth doing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 10:41 AM

I try to avoid all updates where possible because most are unnecessary. I have a wireless printer which updates everytime I use it and it it takes about ten minutes to get through it. Pointless crap, what needs to be updated every time I have no idea. I wish I had never bought it tbh.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 12:17 PM

Software updates? Very seldom. (always check them out on the internet first to see if they're really necessary). My Blu-Ray and PVR update their firmware automatically and the only manual firmware update I do is on my Android based phone.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2019, 11:37 PM

Speak of the devil, my phone's just updated itself with a couple of security patches.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top