Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2015, 10:26 PM

Re: Baby's Nutty Name

Everyone in power goes on about the rights of minorities, races, handicapped,etc. and rightly so, but what rights has the child got when his/he name is being selected for them?, a name they will have to carry throughout their entire life, the answer is they have absolutely no say in this. The Father could be a football fan and call his child Goalpost if he wanted to, and the Mother a Dolphin lover could call the child Flipper if she felt like it, it’s not a bit fair as I see it, children should be given the right by law to change their first name should they wish as soon as they reach the age of reason.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2015, 10:41 PM

Just remembered a girl when I was at school was called Annette, lovely name until you realise her surname was Curtain.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Everyone in power goes on about the rights of minorities, races, handicapped,etc. and rightly so, but what rights has the child got when his/he name is being selected for them?, a name they will have to carry throughout their entire life, the answer is they have absolutely no say in this. The Father could be a football fan and call his child Goalpost if he wanted to, and the Mother a Dolphin lover could call the child Flipper if she felt like it, it’s not a bit fair as I see it, children should be given the right by law to change their first name should they wish as soon as they reach the age of reason.

Remember Zowie Bowie? He changed his, and quite rightly so.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I have to agree Jem. It's not nice being saddled with a name you hate. Although, as long as you can only change it once and not repeatedly. That would be ridiculous.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:52 AM

My sons have never said they disliked their names, which I'm pleased about. Their names are Craig, Scott and Ross
SnazDax
Berkshire U.K.
SnazDax is male  SnazDax has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 11:20 AM

Happy with my name, 4 letters and some times its not just me that spells it wrong. But the odd ones from our town are; Allen Francis married Francis summers so she became... The Ling family (said to be a name from East Anglia) had Angela and Derrick and son Craig. For this one use initial of first name plus last name. My friends have a last name of Saxon, when there daughter got married the groom took her name as he did not like his last name of Mee. If he had kept his last name they could of called there son Ewen. Worked with a lady who was Pat, Patrica, she hated it so we had to call her Ann. Like you all say there are some oddball names out there, but whats up with Patrica. Never got that but if thats what she wanted.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by MADAMENOTMISS ->
What about Bertha ? Eek !!
..and Beryl - hate that!! I have Simon and Georgina - not sure what they think of their names, never asked 'em, I should, I suppose.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 05:25 PM

I never got to name a child but I am quite sure they would have had old fashioned names as we used very old fashioned names for our dogs.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

28-01-2015, 09:17 PM

I don't like to ridicule anyone's names, because there's always someone called it. I don't mind ridiculing Fanny. Now, that is a ridiculous name. Apologies any fannies out there
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 09:55 PM

Fanny was a shortened version of France, which is still in use, the shortened version became vulgar slang in the late 19th century so dropped out of use.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top