Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 05:06 PM

Asian refugees

I cannot imagine how any country can justify towing a refugee-laden boat AWAY from the shores to prevent them landing to seek refuge. I'm just gobsmacked to hear how these people have been treated. Thank goodness at least some of them will now be safer.
I've been reading about their plight in Myanmar, and they certainly deserve some help. I just hope they get what they need to make a new life.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 05:14 PM

Re: Asian refugees

I agree. It's an awful situation. What kind of country/people would not want to help such a grim situation.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I cannot imagine how any country can justify towing a refugee-laden boat AWAY from the shores to prevent them landing to seek refuge. I'm just gobsmacked to hear how these people have been treated. Thank goodness at least some of them will now be safer.
I've been reading about their plight in Myanmar, and they certainly deserve some help. I just hope they get what they need to make a new life.
In many countries in the world, human life is dirt cheap orangutan, far beyond the level we in this country would ever witness, unless you have actually been to some of these countries and seen it first-hand.

I've seen things you probably would not believe. stevmk2
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
In many countries in the world, human life is dirt cheap orangutan, far beyond the level we in this country would ever witness, unless you have actually been to some of these countries and seen it first-hand.

I'm well aware of that. I've seen more than enough too, and have been in these countries, but it doesn't stop me feeling distraught for the way people are treated.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I was appalled listening to the description of the conditions in the boat on the radio this morning Those poor people...
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->

Brazil is the same, very much a two tier system. there are the very rich and the very poor. First time we went out there we saw no end of the poor walking down main roads without even any shoes on, and two dead bodies being bagged up after either being shot by drug barons or hit by cars.
Life out there is a real eye opener and still shocks me every time we go to see my son and his family.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2015, 06:58 PM

Iīve visited more than a few third world countries and lived in one for some years. There never seems to be any "middle of the road", you either have or you havenīt and if you havenīt then you mean nothing to anyone.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 08:01 AM

well finally the three countries in question have owed to international condemnation and pressure and agreed to take the refugees and to visit Myanmar for discussions - they are now asking for money from the international coffers to carry out this humane gesture!

australia of course although in the same region is keeping out of it and all our ridiculous PM can say is NOPE. NOPE, NOPE when asked to help!

god help Australia
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 08:45 AM

Man's inhumanity to man, what a world we live in . My heart weeps
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 11:59 AM

We need a proper global answer to these questions I feel sorry for the countries having to take refugees and even more so to the refugees. It has to be possible to globally address this and help people on all sides cope.
We have vast tracts of the world uninhabited and many people seeking homes surely it isn't beyond us to marry the two up ??

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top