Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 12:55 PM

Re: Asian refugees

There must be a solution to global poverty,when countries act for the protection of this tiny planet floating around in a wilderness of space.

Alas not in my lifetime.
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 01:15 PM

Even this country is two tier. Those with more than enough and those living on the streets! What does our government care for the homeless and those without jobs, give them 0 hour contracts which makes their plight even worse. Oh Lord, I must be changing my politics!
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 01:33 PM

A lot of the problems are due to political unrest in the countries they come from, it's one thing to blame the countries who are not taking them but the dreadful events in their own countries are where the real problem lies.
People are fleeing violence, instability, persecution and starvation and it's happening in several countries throughout the world.
Even the people trying to get here are often doing so as to remain is even worse that their fate at home.
We should be glad to live in such a stable part of the world.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Brazil is the same, very much a two tier system. there are the very rich and the very poor. First time we went out there we saw no end of the poor walking down main roads without even any shoes on, and two dead bodies being bagged up after either being shot by drug barons or hit by cars.
In Iran in the late 70s it was pretty grim everywhere with demonstrations against the Shah and his overwhelming Military response killing his own people and I was there when this was going on.

We had to run a gauntlet in Ahvaz just going to work as the Military controlled all the road junctions.

One morning i as on my way in with the usual Centurian Tank trained on me at the Abadan Roundabout when I realised that there was something wrong.

A large truck had come through, out of control, running down a large number of people that were waiting for the Gang masters to get a day's work.

Seventeen men were dead but as the Miltary could find no IDs they stayed there.

I returned 8 hours later to see smears in the road where those men had died - like we see on country roads, with foxes, rabbits, deer and pheasants.

THAT is when you know just how cheap human life can be. stevmk2
Boots
Dorset UK
Boots is female  Boots has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 04:31 PM

While I have sympathy with the Asian and other refugees floating around the world trying to find a "new home" they surely cannot expect countries just to take them in, give them houses, money, health care etc when there are so many of them. Some of the countries that the Asian refugees are sailing near by are also poor countries too with their own people having very little compared to the west. Incidentally some only wanted to go to certain countries in the area that were richer - no doubt they new that and expected they would get more.
Something has to be done on a global basis to sort out the problems that some countries have, often to do with religion. However what, I don't claim to have any answers. Unfortunately a lot of the poorer countries have a different work ethic to ours, men often sitting around and women doing all the work, what ever that may be. Not saying they are all like that, but some definitely are. India is still very poor in places but generally they have learnt that to achieve anything all have to work hard in the first place. They now have a growing economy. Where the problems are relating to religion - that is a different problem, but it is not unusual these days to find that Islam is at the root of the problems
gardener
UK
gardener is male  gardener has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 04:51 PM

what is happening is tragic for the refugees in boats in Asia & in the Mediterranean. The reasons are numerous & very different. In many ways the West bombing North Africa & the Middle East has contributed maybe created some of the causes

If there is any kind of an answer we are far from finding it. There is a certain irony in the criticism of the Australian & the British Prime Ministers. Both damned in their own countries for holding opposing views & the way control of or the lack of it in dealing with immigrants.

The Australians are criticised for being too hard the British for being too soft. I doubt if common ground can be found between these to countries, their views are probably further apart than these 2 countries are geographically.

As for life being cheap in third world countries. For some in the UK they are experiencing life as have nots too over a million depending on food banks & the numbers growing. Whilst I will concede that there is a huge difference between the third world poor & those in the more affluent countries. If we cannot solve the relatively easier problems of food bank users is there any hope of dealing with the worlds poor never mind solving those issues that maintains the suffering of the worlds poorest
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 06:21 PM

what ever the reasons there is the "affluent" northern hemisphere and less populated countries and the "less affluent" per capita southern hemisphere countries - the world is attempting to re-balance this anomaly the painful way - the poor want a share of the rich - and why not?
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 08:25 AM

Many Australians, including me, believe that the camps that refugees, boat people, are put in off-shore here are inhumane. We might need to be tough but we don't have to be cruel, especially to women and children.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...127-31iww.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...devoid-of-hope
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2015, 09:30 AM

the latest 'news' down here is that 70% of the 'boat people in the seas off malaya and thailand and indonesia are in fact Bangledeshis who just want a better life in Malaya were some have family - the remain 30% are persecuted sects from Myanmar
Water Dragon
Brisbane Australia
Water Dragon is male  Water Dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I cannot imagine how any country can justify towing a refugee-laden boat AWAY from the shores to prevent them landing to seek refuge. I'm just gobsmacked to hear how these people have been treated. Thank goodness at least some of them will now be safer.
I've been reading about their plight in Myanmar, and they certainly deserve some help. I just hope they get what they need to make a new life.
You need to come down to our country and see what the cruel government have been doing over the last couple of years and still going on.
Towing boats away, supplying better new boats to get them going away again, not letting them land on our shores and sending to another country being paid to be processed then resettling them in another country.
This mob have been the worst on earth.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top