Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Water Dragon
Brisbane Australia
Water Dragon is male  Water Dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 01:30 AM

Re: Asian refugees

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
well finally the three countries in question have owed to international condemnation and pressure and agreed to take the refugees and to visit Myanmar for discussions - they are now asking for money from the international coffers to carry out this humane gesture!

australia of course although in the same region is keeping out of it and all our ridiculous PM can say is NOPE. NOPE, NOPE when asked to help!

god help Australia
Abbott..... the head clown in charge of the worlds worst circus.
Water Dragon
Brisbane Australia
Water Dragon is male  Water Dragon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We need a proper global answer to these questions I feel sorry for the countries having to take refugees and even more so to the refugees. It has to be possible to globally address this and help people on all sides cope.
We have vast tracts of the world uninhabited and many people seeking homes surely it isn't beyond us to marry the two up ??
Here here......we have the land and the government will not let them land they keep chasing them away.
Abbott should hang his head in shame.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Water Dragon ->
You need to come down to our country and see what the cruel government have been doing over the last couple of years and still going on.
Towing boats away, supplying better new boats to get them going away again, not letting them land on our shores and sending to another country being paid to be processed then resettling them in another country.
This mob have been the worst on earth.
they call it border protection! - didn't seem to work too well in WWII when the Japs were trying to get in?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 10:05 PM

For a change, I seem to be up to my armpits in fellow-Aussies.
Even more remarkable, I agree with all that has been said.
Australia's treatment of asylum-seekers is, and has been - atrocious.
Have we no compassion, no sense at all that every other human is our brother ?

This obscene situation has existed under both sides of politics - perhaps slightly worse under the current Abbot conservative regime.
But consigning thousands of desperate people - including many women and children - to barbed-wire gulags on Christmas Island, Nauru or Manus (etc), often for years, is downright evil.

OK. There is truth to the proposition that "stopping the boats" and "the deterrent factor" have stopped the flow and potentially saved thousands of lives being lost at sea.

But that does not justify treating those already in our "care" like animals.

The uncomfortable truth is that this can only continue whilst the Australian pubic remains apathetic.
Politicians react to pressure. If we, the public, screamed so loudly and so often that they feared a voter backlash at the next election, I have little doubt that things would change.

In other words, the ball is in our court.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 10:12 PM

they call it border protection! - didn't seem to work too well in WWII when the Japs were trying to get in?
Sorry Bud, I don't understand that one.
Seems to me it worked pretty well then.
I don't see many Japanese in my neighbourhood.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Sorry Bud, I don't understand that one.
Seems to me it worked pretty well then.
I don't see many Japanese in my neighbourhood.
more luck than anything - thee Japs were strathing the Kimberley and Broome had to be evacuated - I don't think the Japs were smart enough or quick enough to sieze the inititative!

back to the central topic :

The uncomfortable truth is that this can only continue whilst the Australian pubic remains apathetic.
Politicians react to pressure. If we, the public, screamed so loudly and so often that they feared a voter backlash at the next election, I have little doubt that things would change.

In other words, the ball is in our court.
it's more than apathy - I live in a part of Australia that has an Indigenous population of nearly 40% compared to 'whitefellas' - I don't see apathy I see racism - dig deep enough around the rest of OZ and IMO you'll find it

the muttering is - boat people are:

foreigners
poor
jobless
large families
possibly diseased
in need of homes
in need of jobs
in need of welfare

etc etc etc
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 10:45 AM

more luck than anything - thee Japs were strathing the Kimberley and Broome had to be evacuated - I don't think the Japs were smart enough or quick enough to sieze the inititative!

back to the central topic :

it's more than apathy - I live in a part of Australia that has an Indigenous population of nearly 40% compared to 'whitefellas' - I don't see apathy I see racism - dig deep enough around the rest of OZ and IMO you'll find it

the muttering is - boat people are:

foreigners
poor
jobless
large families
possibly diseased
in need of homes
in need of jobs
in need of welfare

etc etc etc
Too true. I found racism in both Aus and NZ to be flourishing rather too well...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 01:58 PM

I'm not sure if this is the right thread...but...I've been reading about the desperate situation in Greece, the little island of Kos, where thousands of boat people are now living on the streets with no money and nothing much to do while the Greek officials struggle to contain the situation and process them. They're sleeping rough and hanging their washing on the seaside railings...well you would wouldn't you!!... And now the western holiday makers are starting to resent these intruders on their favourite tranquil holiday destination. Not good for the photos!

Everywhere in the world these poor people land, or try to land, patience is running out and compassion is running thin.

I despair, what on earth is going to happen?
Boots
Dorset UK
Boots is female  Boots has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 06:31 PM

Although some of these various boat people are poor, maybe homeless for one reason and another, not all are. Some come from relatively wealthy families in their home countries and pay the people smugglers large sums of money to pay for a place on a boat. No doubt some could afford the fare on a plane, but would not be allowed into the "country of their choice" due to border controls. If they risk using people smugglers they hope they will be allowed to stay wherever they want to go. All very difficult for both the genuine asylum seekers and the economic migrants no doubt, as I expect they think they will be given transport to where they want to go and then get a house and money. Unfortunately in most cases this is not what they find. On television the other day I heard one man say that what was happening to them in Kos was "not what he had expected"! They nearly al have mobile phones. How do they keep them both charged up and money to use them.
All very difficult for everyone. It is reckoned that there at least a million people waiting to come into Europe by some means or other, not to mention those who are sailing from Myramar and Bangladesh. How many of them there are I don't know. Some of them have been put into camps by the people smugglers as their families haven't paid the rest of the money the people smugglers charge. Some I believe have been killed and their bodies found in some places.
What does the world do? I have no idea. However if some sort of control is not put into place there will be more countries with problems that are caused by this huge influx of so say homeless people.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2015, 06:45 PM

I think their own countries should have improved by now - we keep chucking money and expertise their way, why do their lives never seem to improve?
Don't think the answer is to keep taking them in, there will be more coming and it only seems to be encouraging the people smugglers who know there's money to be made.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top