Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 07:41 PM

Re: Open Forum or Closed Forum?

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I'm always amazed that people have the time to be on more than one forum, it takes all my spare time just to keep up on this one......

Me too, this is the only forum I have been on for years and some days I only find time to boot up and say goodnight, especially with the kinda weather we have had the last 2 days
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 09:57 PM

Don't see it matters much either way, there is a high percentage of member none participation, so that makes it the same as others who don't put their name in the hat in the first place.Imo.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2015, 11:23 PM

I wouldn't join a closed forum. You can't see what's been discussed or what topics have been posted. The forum title doesn't always tell you what it's about. I am nosy & like to know what I'm signing up to.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 09:36 AM

I think some forums benefit from being closed I belong to a couple of forums that discuss specific medical or mental issues and the people need to be allowed to talk without the world and his mate watching them. If you look at how many bots watch open forums it is unnerving if you are talking intimately and they are goggling at you or should that be googling ?
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2015, 11:15 PM

Open is fine up to a point, fine on small gentle forms of friends like this one. As Saga found out to their cost it is not clever in heavy debate regarding such issues as the Middle East problems ,when the anti semiotic rhetoric was read by outsiders and reported to the National Press.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 08:27 AM

What's anti semiotic DofE? Do you mean anti semitic?

I prefer an open forum, as others have said, you can see what a forum is like before you join.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Uff ->
What's anti s DofE? Do you mean anti semitic?emiotic

I prefer an open forum, as others have said, you can see what a forum is like before you join.
It means ,the study of signs and symbols and their use or interpretation, see how easy you understood the message.
Remember I never had the benefit of a education being self made, but I find folk do get the message regardless
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Open is fine up to a point, fine on small gentle forms of friends like this one. As Saga found out to their cost it is not clever in heavy debate regarding such issues as the Middle East problems ,when the anti semiotic rhetoric was read by outsiders and reported to the National Press.
Ah, so the press got hold of it. First time anyone's mentioned that, no wonder it had to shut down. What a shame that a few numbskulls ruined everything and everyone suffered as a result. Unfortunately this happens a lot in forums.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

18-08-2015, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Ah, so the press got hold of it. First time anyone's mentioned that, no wonder it had to shut down. What a shame that a few numbskulls ruined everything and everyone suffered as a result. Unfortunately this happens a lot in forums.
No, that was just a starters. Saga decided to expand on its good standing and purchased the AA. Alas the AA had huge debts which dragged Saga into trouble meaning they were laying off staff and perhaps closing the company. Naturally the staff became despondent at the prospect of loosing their jobs .
For me it provided a brilliant forum much enjoyed by myself with a diversity of posters. No problems and much appreciated by myself.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 12:29 PM

I'm not quite sure what is meant by "closed" - do you mean private - by invitation only? Or not visible to non-logged in members?

I belong to a small private forum. It is great as you can say what ever you like without anyone jumping on you and telling you off. I don't remember anyone ever having to moderate in it - I don't even know if we have a designated moderator - probably, but they are very under employed in the role.

Open fora are OK - especially if you want to make new friends - but you have to gird your loins and guard against all manner of hostile individuals on occasion.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top