Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 01:01 PM

Booze On Planes

Heard on 5live this morning a discussion about booze on planes and all the trouble it is causing, some cabin crew are quitting because of drunks touching them up.
Why does there have to be booze on planes? Ok people say it helps calm their nerves but it does certainly cause a lot of problems. I have been on planes and had to put up with loud drunken passengers its just not fair on other passengers that just want a peaceful flight.
I think it should be banned not only from the planes but from the airport bars and breathalyse passengers if they look like they have had one to many and if they have stop them getting on.
I realise there would be uproar if booze was banned on planes but people would soon get use to it as they did when smoking was banned on planes.☺
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 01:09 PM

Re: Booze On Planes

My son is an air steward for Thompson. He is a number 1 , worked his way up over 18 years. He has refused people onto his plane , refused to allow even more alcohol to be served them while on the flight.

One group of lads turned up wearing t shirts covered in foul language , he refused them unless they turned them inside out , they did eventually do this after arguing with him , he also refused any more alcohol to them.

He says he must have the safety of others foremost in his mind , also if there was an emergency drunk people would not have the ability to act accordingly.

I like a couple of gin and tonics while flying but would never drink more .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 01:23 PM

If it was banned I suppose it would solve a lot of problems for the airlines Doc, but I can’t see it happening, if someone want’s to start messing about be it on a plane or any transport they will, besides it could be drugs as well as drink causing these problems, I notice some big celebrity names crop up now and then.
Personally I have never been in a plane, I’m scared stiff of air travel, but if for some reason or other I had to go on one I would definitely want a few jars first to calm me down, the thought of being a few miles up in a metal box at the mercy of a pilot I know nothing about and a load of machinery scares the life outa me, my son always says it’s the safest way to travel, I don’t agree with him, we are all entitled to think what we like.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 01:26 PM

Hi susan well done to your son its a pity more aren't like him again i say well done.👏
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 01:30 PM

Never makes sense to me that they ban smoking but allow drink which is far more dangerous. Seen so many accounts of disruption on planes because of it, not just by men but women too - they are off their heads
Should be banned so why don't they just get on and do it !
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 03:15 PM

We had a dreadful flight back from USA because of a bunch of drunken students. They stood at the back of the plane where we were sat, blocking the toilets, singing and shouting. A little girl wanted to use the toilet, but they wouldn´t move so I got up and asked them to move. One of the men actually grabbed hold of me and threatened me. Fortunately his friend pulled him off and he did move from the toilet door. I went to the stewards part of the plane and I complained, others were also complaining. The weak wishy washy male steward said "gee mam, they are students and their seats are not together", I told him that people were trying to sleep, it was a night flight, the students were noisy, rude, abusive and drunk and asked why they were still selling them alcohol, I also told him that a serious complaint would be sent to the airline company manager, the airline was Continental. A few minutes later the head stewardess came to see us, she apologised and offered us a bottle of wine from first class ! I told her to go away, she then offered to fetch us a complaint form, I told her not to bother, I wasn´t filling in a company complaint form so that she could throw it in the bin. The next thing one of the pilots appeared, I don´t know what he told the stewards but within a couple of minutes they had the students back in their seats with a lot of swearing and shouting going on.
I did write to Continental head office and I did receive an apology along with two vouchers for 50 dollars each off flights with them again. I wrote again, telling them that I would not ever be flying with Continental again and returned their 50 dollar vouchers to them.

We also had problems on a flight to Malta, 3 very drunk Irish boys, they were climbing over the backs of seats where people were sitting, refused to sit down when told to as we were landing and when we disembarked the 3 boys were taken off by the police. Everyone thought they had been arrested but on arriving at the hotel it appeared they had just been taken through customs etc before the rest of the passengers and taken to the hotel. On arrival at the hotel the 3 boys were causing trouble in quick time, overturning large plant pots in the reception area and later throwing things off their balcony. The next morning there was no sign of them, hopefully they had been put on the next flight back to wherever they came from.

I actually thought they didn´t let people get on planes these days if they were drunk and I thought also that they limited the amount of alcohol they served on planes, obviously I thought wrong.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 03:28 PM

I can see them banning booze on the plane - but not at the airports - they would lose too much revenue - so it would defeat the objective. National Express buses found that when they banned booze from their coaches but had no control over the motorway services selling it.

Would they also ban passengers from carrying gifts of booze home? I boarded an Aer Lingus flight with a carrier bag containing two litre bottles of Jameson's from Dublin last year. They were bought at Jameson's own distillery not the airport, and I would not have been pleased if I had to leave them behind.

Well done to your son, Susan, but not all cabin crew would risk a confrontation.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 03:34 PM

I like a drink but the only thing I drink on a plane is orange juice.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 03:48 PM

It should really be banned and people not allowed if they turn up drunk, I can never understand why anyone would want to be drunk and flying OK I have never flown but if I did I would want my wits about me not be befuddled and unable to help myself.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2015, 04:32 PM

If you can't manage a flight without alcohol then you really do have a dtink problem, but let's not forget who sells the stuff to you on board for no other reason than to increase their profit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top