Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2015, 05:43 PM

Re: How dare they!

While i was in hospital recently i was asked by a Pharmacist if i minded them looking at my medical record ,they were there to give out meds to new patients and as I have reactions to some which i had told them about on admission , I see it as she was being precautionary in what she was prescibing . I gave my permission but it did cross my mind after that she would see my Depressive illness and my very thoughts at that time . ,But then I am one of many that have gone through depression and Its an illness like anything else .
I dont see Mental illness something to hide from .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2015, 05:46 PM

I too have nothing to worry about with regards to my medical records Meg, however, what I do object to is the thought that anyone not in a position of confidentiality having access to those records. People say that it is between the Doctor, the Pharmacist and the Patient. but once a third person has access to one's medical records, what to stop a fourth or even a fifth person, such as their assistants, being given access by maybe an overworked pharmacist or allowing someone that the pharmacist trusts.

I believe strongly that anything such as the passing on of private and confidential medical records to anyone other than another doctor or consultant should never be allowed. To do so will in some cases lead to the danger of someone, somewhere, having their confidential medical conditions disclosed, sure as night and day. The NHS simply cannot be trusted to get it right ! they haven't so far when it comes to colossal mistakes with patients confidentiality !!!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
While i was in hospital recently i was asked by a Pharmacist if i minded them looking at my medical record ,they were there to give out meds to new patients and as I have reactions to some which i had told them about on admission , I see it as she was being precautionary in what she was prescibing . I gave my permission but it did cross my mind after that she would see my Depressive illness and my very thoughts at that time . ,But then I am one of many that have gone through depression and Its an illness like anything else .
I dont see Mental illness something to hide from .
Eliza, please forgive me if you assumed that I was saying there was something wrong with people with mental illness. I certainly way not. What I was trying to say in my usual klutzy way was there are many people who have suffered from mental illness such as being treated at some time in their life for something like depression during some traumatic or sad time in their lives. Many of us have been through times like this and seen a doctor and he/she has prescribed something to help us get through it It's also good that you certainly wouldn't mind anyone seeing your medical records but I still feel that there may be many who have gone through the same who would certainly not relish the thought that their medical records could be at risk of being seen by other people than their own doctor, regardless of whatever is contained in them. I feel strongly that doctor/patient confidentiality should remain ever thus. Opening the door will change that forever and there will be no going back. I don't like that at all.

Sincerely hope you haven't taken offence Eliza.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2015, 06:31 PM

As maursey said, this is only for the Pharmacist and not the staff.

It helps if you are ever taken ill and need medication quick be it at a Chemist or a Hospital while say, your away on holiday they will be able to access your medical records double quick.
I am all for it, it could save lives.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2015, 07:10 PM

We had forms a while ago asking if we minded having our records accessed and both opted in, I wish they had done this years ago, we have both got allergies and on going medical problems that it would be really helpful if the pharmacist wherever we are can find out about.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 04:07 PM

This is the first I've heard about this. Not sure how I feel about it........Yet. Is this only in England do you know? Or is it to happen in Scotland too..
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 04:55 PM

Community Pharmacy Scotland Chief Executive, Harry McQuillan, said:

“I note with great interest the news from south of the border with regards to community pharmacy access to summary care records. As a pharmacist who accessed this technology over ten years ago, I would urge the Scottish Government to look into similar access for the community pharmacy network in Scotland to enhance patient care."

Alex MacKinnon, Director for the Royal Pharmaceutical Society in Scotland, said:

“This is great news for patients and community pharmacists in England. The Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS) in Scotland and Community Pharmacy Scotland (CPS) have been advocating for this for the best part of fifteen years. Access to an electronic shared record will undoubtedly be a key enabler for the development of community pharmacists’ clinical role. I would encourage the Scottish Government to work with key stakeholder bodies, including the RPS and CPS, to enable similar access for community pharmacists working in Scotland.”

Looks like We won't be far behind Roxy.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 05:11 PM

Come back George Orwell - all is forgiven !
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 05:27 PM

Hmmm. Still not sure how I'd feel.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2015, 06:34 PM

I wonder if part of the reason (or maybe the excuse) for this is to counter so-called 'doctor-shopping'.

This is when a person is hooked on, say valium, but their GP will quite rightly only prescribe a limited quantity.
So they go to a number of doctors with well-rehearsed symptoms
and then get the scripts made up at different pharmacies.

Each doctor and pharmacist thinks they are using a 'normal' quantity when in fact it could be five or ten times that.

Not just valium of course - there are scores, probably hundreds of these addictive prescription-only drugs.
Many of which can be resold to young 'clubbers' and the like for huge profits.

Dispensing details available to all pharmacists would surely hinder this abuse ?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top