Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 03:25 PM

Health websites for the general public

A recent conversation with a friend got me doing some research of various health/NHS patient websites, the ones which are supposed to be designed to give patients information on their various conditions. The reason for this was that I had mentioned a late onset variant of diabetes about which the other person had no knowledge. She tried to look it up on DiabetesUK and some NHS patient information sites but found no information on it, so clearly thought I was talking rubbish. (I hasten to add, I was not!).
I found lots of information when I googled the condition, but not on any of the patient-orientated websites. Fair enough, it's not vital information, but I was still surprised that it was not mentioned.
I came to the conclusion that this type of website is 'dumbed down' to the presumed level of the lowest common denominator intellectually. Ok, that (I guess) means the meagre information supplied is probably understood but I'm disappointed that these sites don't at least offer links to more detailed/technical information as there must be a fair number of patients who would appreciate the opportunity to read more.
Have you used this sort of site, and, if so, would you have followed links for more detail? Or is simpler better?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 03:49 PM

Re: Health websites for the general public

TBH I don't put much faith in the mainstream websites. Like the industry staff, they must follow the party line and rule books so there will always be more information to be found.

I tend to Google as many sites as possible for any health issue and in particular I always Google "Natural remedies for . . .".

Most times there will be perfectly viable natural remedies for your ailments.

As an example, if you look for Gall Stones and Gall Bladder attack on mainstream websites they will talk about levels of severity and the pills and potions they recommend and ultimately surgery for having your gall bladder removed. Sadly many people never stray from such sites and believe everything they say and as a result many people have had their gall bladders removed believing there was no viable alternative. Even more sadly this does not solve the actual problem they have, gall stones will simply build up somewhere else in the body and cause worse problems later on.

A quick Google for natural remedies reveals that there are some very simple Gall Bladder flushes you can do that will rid you of lots of small stones. They highlight the risks of larger stones getting trapped and recommend you get a scan prior to doing a flush. Regardless, the flush, which amounts to simply taking Epson Salts a few times beforehand then drinking a quantity of Olive Oil is easy and simple and effective for a great many people. The feeling you get afterwards is pretty great. No need to dice and slice and have your gall bladder cut out, just flush the stones away. Then be mindful of your diet in future.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 04:31 PM

Obviously depends what the problem is but I have found health related forums better generally as people who have had some experience of the problem often have better information to and help to offer than official websites.
I have just been asked to help run one for a problem we seem to have more knowledge of than the NHS and if I do it I hope we can help many people who have found the NHS turn away.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Obviously depends what the problem is but I have found health related forums better generally as people who have had some experience of the problem often have better information to and help to offer than official websites.
I have just been asked to help run one for a problem we seem to have more knowledge of than the NHS and if I do it I hope we can help many people who have found the NHS turn away.
That can be true, but can also be risky if there is not a full understanding of both the person and the condition.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

21-08-2015, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
TBH I don't put much faith in the mainstream websites. Like the industry staff, they must follow the party line and rule books so there will always be more information to be found.

I tend to Google as many sites as possible for any health issue and in particular I always Google "Natural remedies for . . .".

Most times there will be perfectly viable natural remedies for your ailments.

As an example, if you look for Gall Stones and Gall Bladder attack on mainstream websites they will talk about levels of severity and the pills and potions they recommend and ultimately surgery for having your gall bladder removed. Sadly many people never stray from such sites and believe everything they say and as a result many people have had their gall bladders removed believing there was no viable alternative. Even more sadly this does not solve the actual problem they have, gall stones will simply build up somewhere else in the body and cause worse problems later on.

A quick Google for natural remedies reveals that there are some very simple Gall Bladder flushes you can do that will rid you of lots of small stones. They highlight the risks of larger stones getting trapped and recommend you get a scan prior to doing a flush. Regardless, the flush, which amounts to simply taking Epson Salts a few times beforehand then drinking a quantity of Olive Oil is easy and simple and effective for a great many people. The feeling you get afterwards is pretty great. No need to dice and slice and have your gall bladder cut out, just flush the stones away. Then be mindful of your diet in future.
A predictable response.
Can I just point out that (a) gallstones are only found in the gallbladder but other stones can form in other organs eg kidneys and (b) in my experience most people having their gallbladder removed are told that it may well NOT solve the problem.

Having said that, and having now looked in detail at a number of so-called patient orientated websites, I rather think that we would be better off without them at all! I'm not sure that they serve any useful purpose.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Can I just point out that (a) gallstones are only found in the gallbladder but other stones can form in other organs eg kidneys
Whilst the pedantry of terminology is relevant in the context of say kidney stones which are clearly different to gall stones, your point is nonetheless not quite correct.

Stones also develop in the primary bile duct.

http://www.gastrohep.co.uk/ebooks/eb...405120789&id=3

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I rather think that we would be better off without them at all! I'm not sure that they serve any useful purpose.
"The gallbladder serves as a reservoir for bile while it’s not being used for digestion. The gallbladder's absorbent lining concentrates the stored bile. When food enters the small intestine, a hormone called cholecystokinin is released, signalling the gallbladder to contract and secrete bile into the small intestine through the common bile duct.

The bile helps the digestive process by breaking up fats. It also drains waste products from the liver into the duodenum, a part of the small intestine.

Without the gall bladder the bile drips constantly into the intestine instead of being stored. This irritates the intestine and can lead to a number of undesirable complications.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2015, 09:53 PM

I have found health sites to be a mixed bag. I quite like the 'NHS choices' and 'Patient' sites for general information on commonly occurring conditions.

However, a couple of years ago when I tested borderline for a condition of which I had never heard, while awaiting the results of a second lot of tests I looked on the net for every scrap of information I could find about the condition but found very little.
I did find a dedicated forum but it was rarely used and my posts were largely ignored other than for a friendly hello from someone.

My doctor didn't really explain anything to me, her attitude was wait for the test results then we will discuss it further if need be. That meant I had a very worrying couple of weeks waiting for the test results.

So rather than being 'dumbed down' information was practically none existent.

The best information I found was from a helpline for people with a condition affecting the same part of the body as mine.

Luckily the tests proved to be negative .

I am a believer in 'know your enemy' and would defiantly follow links to sites containing information on any condition I might have . Even if that information was complicated I would break it down and examine every detail in the hope of gaining some insight.

My GP is of the opinion that no one should look anything up on the net , she it causes people to imagine things and too be misinformed
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

22-08-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My doctor didn't really explain anything to me, her attitude was wait for the test results then we will discuss it further if need be.
And that's because the doctor belongs to a "System" which has to be run according to rules and for the preservation and benefit of "the system" rather than for the patient. In other words it's about avoiding liability should the doctor inadvertently say the wrong thing.

I am a believer in 'know your enemy' and would defiantly follow links to sites containing information on any condition I might have . Even if that information was complicated I would break it down and examine every detail in the hope of gaining some insight.
This is "gold" advice. Imperative that everyone does the same imo.

My GP is of the opinion that no one should look anything up on the net , she it causes people to imagine things and too be misinformed
Knowledge is power pure and simple. It always has been. In a hospital the peer pressure to concede to the expertise of the staff is overwhelming. Medical staff do not like people who have self-educated themselves because it means they can't get away with things. If the patient knows factually that they can be treated by methods A, B or C and the medical staff were planning on using cheap option A then perhaps a debate can be had about B or C. There are many tales of people having lengthy and frustrating debates about such options but savvy patients know that in the end they will be able to get the treatment style they want so long as they are informed and persistent.

The flip side of this self-education is naturally that people will latch onto anything on the Net whether sound or quackery and will go off self-treating themselves which can have adverse consequences.

The absolute ideal situation would be for everyone to have a personal friend who is a doctor or long experienced medical person whom they can talk objectively with and have no constraints of liabilities or party policies. Sadly that's just not available to most.

In the end I firmly and wholeheartedly believe the following:

1. Your health is YOUR responsibility, no-one else's

2. Understanding any illness or ailment you have is again YOUR responsibility, no-one else's

3. Undertaking proper research to gain an objective and balanced view of it is YOUR responsibility, not the duty of any medical profession.

4. Any natural cure that has been provided by Nature herself will always be infinitely better for you than any pharmaceutical offering.

5. A "quick fix" to mask symptoms rather than treat the root cause should be avoided. Your body knows what to do most of the time, quick fixes just interfere with its processes and prolong the entire healing process.

6. Never give into the fear that comes with serious illnesses which makes you believe that because you have X you must therefore have treatment/surgery Y. Have the courage to take control, remove the fear and get out there and fully educate yourself on your condition. Then have the courage to try any natural treatments first, provided your condition is one that permits the time for such experimentation.

7. Trust no-one. Your body is your responsibility.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

22-08-2015, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Whilst the pedantry of terminology is relevant in the context of say kidney stones which are clearly different to gall stones, your point is nonetheless not quite correct.

Stones also develop in the primary bile duct.
Fair comment, pedantry wise. I should have said they do not occur outside the biliary tract. It's just that the way you first posted you made it sound as though gallstones travelled to the rest of the body.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top