Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 04:41 PM

Re: BBC dump Met Office

Originally Posted by Cass ->
does this mean we are going to get some idiot jumping around on a styrafoam map?
Ha! You mean Liverpool, don't you. I knew those maps very well.

Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
Ha! You mean Liverpool, don't you. I knew those maps very well.

Thats the one... If only he had fallen in and drowned..
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 04:59 PM

Lets be honest..our weather is a bit of a joke and predicting it must be hell !!!

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 10:59 PM

I don’t think we need the weather ‘forecast’ on TV anymore, it’s never accurate anyway, this is 2015 and scientists can tell you when there's storms on Mars but down here it's another story. I mean suppose you wanted to take the family out on a picnic from A to B in the UK, could you get a clear answer if it was going to rain in B at 1pm when you arrive? no they couldn’t give you a straight yes or no answer, so that is not ‘forecasting’ the weather, if I go into the bookies and do a forecast bet I have to pick the right horses to come first and second in that order, otherwise I lose me bet. The BBC is right to chuck ‘em out, or keep them on part time ‘Weather Guessers’. Who can ever forget Mickey Fish?
I look at the satellite map online (Sat24) and it’s like looking down on the country live, you can see the clouds coming in and departing, plus which way the wind is blowing them and then make your own judgements on what the rest of the day is going to be like, if you get it wrong don’t despair, the BBC have been getting it wrong for donkeys years and they’re professionals.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I mean suppose you wanted to take the family out on a picnic from A to B in the UK, could you get a clear answer if it was going to rain in B at 1pm when you arrive?
Most of the time yes Jem not days ahead but hours ahead the local forecast is very reliable...
I put my postcode in here every morning and check before hanging the washing out ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Most of the time yes Jem not days ahead but hours ahead the local forecast is very reliable...
I put my postcode in here every morning and check before hanging the washing out ..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Aah, well you see, Meg, you should do what us country folks do. We look out of the window.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
Aah, well you see, Meg, you should do what us country folks do. We look out of the window.

I do that as well Han but it is only reliably accurate for about 10 minutes ...
Hanfonius
North Wales

25-08-2015, 09:06 AM

Ooh Aargh. It be zunny today. Oil leave me wellies at home.

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 11:51 AM

As Jem said 'they are never accurate anyway'. I have never seen such a bunch of weather wannabes trying to justify or prolong their spot on TV with fancy graphs and words .

Our weather system is notoriously unpredictable and no fancy million pound computer will change that. I have more faith in my seaweed hanging outside the back door and I will even try squeezing my buttocks ..because I really do object to paying my TV license for that Weather forecasting shower on the Beeb
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2015, 05:34 PM

I have a Met Office weather app on my i-phone and it is ridiculously inaccurate. I know weather forecasting is a notoriously difficult science, but they seem to get it very wrong very often. Maybe if they spent more time actually looking at weather and less trying to manipulate evidence to "prove" anthropogenic global warming, they might get it right more often.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top