Join for free
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2015, 06:24 PM

Badger Culling

I see the Government has extended the culling of Badgers but what i cannot understand is why kill the poor creatures?
Why not trap them and move them somewhere where there are no cattle
Such as an Island where they can just get on with their lifes.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2015, 06:57 PM

Re: Badger Culling

Hi Doc.

I don't believe that Badgers have TB and give it to the Cattle! I think its the other way round. Farmers feed their Cattle with rubbish food, animal bones and flesh which has rotted, so I always think its Humans who have given the Cattle TB.

Badgers are lovely creatures, we have them here opposite my House and I think they have culled a few here.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2015, 08:18 PM

There's a local road that I frequently travel where badger culling takes place everyday. Whenever I travel the 20 miles or so of this road it's not unusual to see at least 3 dead badgers - killed by traffic.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2015, 10:09 PM

Doc, I heard this on the news today as well.
They are extending the cull into Somerset and intend to kill 835 badgers over a 6 week cull. That is virtually 20 badgers per day must die.
The way these maniacs are killing our wildlife, the badgers will be extinct before our grandchildren grow up, and you know what - I bet we still have TB.
Those people are just killing machines.
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 07:27 AM

Thats awful Mups!😣
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 08:47 AM

They are culling just a few miles away over in Gloucestershire . I am surrounded by badger sets here and was even monitoring one for the BPL some years ago when a suspected badger baiting gang was seen in the area. I fear for our local badgers

I am also sorry for the farmers who lose cattle with TB, we need a proper strategy of vaccination to deal with this problem.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 05:18 PM

Why can't they trap badgers and TB test, then cull any that are affected, and vaccinate the rest?

I read today that most of the badgers that are killed do not even have TB!!
Apparently the bloody government won't even test the dead carcasses (though that would be a bit late anyway), to check the actual amount of TB these animals are supposed to be carrying.

Like I said earlier, this will never eradicate TB anyway. I read recently that cases are rising again, and not because of the milk we are drinking, but because of immigrants bringing it in with them. Are we going to start a cull on them as well?

P.S. I meant to say the cull was spreading to Dorset, not somerset. They were already culling there.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Why can't they trap badgers and TB test, then cull any that are affected, and vaccinate the rest

..at a guess one word money...
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
There's a local road that I frequently travel where badger culling takes place everyday. Whenever I travel the 20 miles or so of this road it's not unusual to see at least 3 dead badgers - killed by traffic.

so true.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top