Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 07:51 AM

How Cruel !

http://www.rt.com/news/313775-india-...tence-sisters/
It's difficult to believe that this could happen in a so-called civilised country in this day-and-age.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 08:04 AM

Re: How Cruel !

I am not sure cruel is the right word the village must be run by perverts if they think this is justice. And who carries out the punishment ? I am assuming the men who judged and set the punishment. Obviously only way they can get sex
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 08:21 AM

This made me feel sick just reading it.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 09:21 AM

No amount of petitions will alter their thinking when it comes to upholding traditions

Revenge rape as a punishment for a woman or her family member’s crimes isn’t unheard of in the region. It’s traditionally seen as a way to ruin a family’s worth, by tarnishing its honor and ruining a daughter’s chances for marriage.

Village councils in northern India, known as khap panchayats, are generally comprised of senior male members of the community’s high castes. Although the councils have been declared illegal by the courts, their edicts are still observed in many parts of rural India.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
No amount of petitions will alter their thinking when it comes to upholding traditions

Revenge rape as a punishment for a woman or her family member’s crimes isn’t unheard of in the region. It’s traditionally seen as a way to ruin a family’s worth, by tarnishing its honor and ruining a daughter’s chances for marriage.

Village councils in northern India, known as khap panchayats, are generally comprised of senior male members of the community’s high castes. Although the councils have been declared illegal by the courts, their edicts are still observed in many parts of rural India.
And is it not ironic that those complaining about this barbaric but historic practice are the very do-gooders who are most verbal about letting into this country thousands of foreigners who follow similar medieval behaviours . Behaviour which has taken us hundreds of years to eradicate.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Similar things happen the world over with people like religious elders, witch doctors and shaman dictating their 'rules' to their followers.

I can't help but think we are only one step removed from it here, some people believe in the strangest things and the mob mentality is never far away.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 11:44 AM

One of the rare reports to reach the press, I know there are very many such barbaric judgements in some countries. I would like to know who reports such incidents and to who they report them to. The reason being that if these stories get in the international press and to the various help organisations then many of the people in such professions have links to high authorities. A good number of such people in the higher authorities do not like to see such stories seen around the world and such people have the "clout" to step in and do something about it, a word in the right ear, so to speak, and there are many people in the media and charity organisations who have the right contacts. Petitions are never going to work when it comes to uneducated and ignorant village headmen in countries where men believe females are simply possessions to be used as the men wish. I very much doubt that such barbaric practices will ever stop and at the present time I very much doubt there is any solution to these horrendous things. Even in the UK there have been many reports of honour killings etc etc, nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors, until it´s too late. Answers, I doubt there are any.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2015, 11:38 AM

Voltaire put it best - "As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities."
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
Voltaire put it best - "As long as people believe in absurdities they will continue to commit atrocities."
Absolutely Mike ....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top