Join for free
Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2011, 07:24 PM

Re: Staying or Going?

Originally Posted by maryl ->
What a pretty place, I could just walk along there with a (borrowed) dog and take it all in.
I frequently do, borrowing my daughters dog.
I used to walk around with a £1500 DSLR millstone around my neck, until I discovered how good the iPhone camera was.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2011, 10:05 PM

Re: Staying or Going?

Originally Posted by Milo ->
Just revitalizing this thread.

Well as a few may know I,m a expat from Shropshire originally, and I moved abroad without any cash incentives! But I,m cheap

Emigrating is an emotional difficult and stressful thing to do, you spend at least two years missing the familiar and getting used to the unknown. To those who envy those that have done it, and sadly those who see it as unpatriotic and have a good pop at you when they can, it's not an easy option. It takes or it should do at least two years of planning, it's costly at the smallest level, and at least 75% of emigrants return.

There can be huge pitfalls for those trusting Brits who expect the indegionous population to welcome you with open arms! There is much bureaucracy to deal with, plus finances and healthcare, even what to in death to consider.

But there are many that do deal with all of these things and apart from visits could,nt contemplate a move back to the UK. You acclimatize to extreme weather conditions, learn not to listen to bad people, and become as near as you can native!

But with the best will in the world, some can do all of the above and miss the green green grass of home literally! To that end some leave to live abroad for an adventure, for a different way of life, for an experience, and for a good time after a long and busy life, but not a long time.

Some sadly experience some of life's worst people who smile and shake their hands and fleece them making their moves abroad an absolute nightmare. Being aware is upmost in ones mind once you step off the plane.

So for a million would I move abroad?

Yes absolutely! Ive done it now give me the money
I moved to Norway in 2006 and have not regretted one day. i started planning in December 2005 and moved in july 2006. i lived in a cabin for 8 months whilst my house was built. it is on the side of a twenty mile long lake, my nearest neighbour is 10 mins walk away, no traffic no noise no graffiti, no aggro. i have agood standard of living, good health care . i also have a very cold winter and a lot of snow. i have been welcomed by local people although i struggle with the language.
I realise that not everyone will cope with moving and living abroad.it does have to be thought about and you need to have been to that country many times before you can say that you have seen most of the problems that you will encounter.
if anyone does go and do it , please dont try and live in an Ex pat colony, live with the local people , they will always help if you have a problem, and you will feel part of the country.
if anyone ever feels the urge to do it and want to chat about it , please feel free.

Page 7 of 7 « First < 5 6 7

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top