Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2011, 08:23 PM

Re: Sir Brucie

Never heard of him.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

11-06-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Well the old sod got what he wanted, after endless pleadings and snivelling by the great and the good. In a mad world thats just got even dafter, one wonders whats next. Sir Jimmy Cricket? Lord and Lady Krankie? Baron Basil Brush? I'm off to Buck Palace to see if there's any MBE'S or OBE'S knocking about.
You never know John.
I think they were waiting for him to turn his toes up to save the embarrassment of giving him the dubious accolade but he and his syrup seem to go on forever.

Is the old timer deserving of yet another honour?
He was awarded the OBE back in 1998 and got an upgrade to CBE for some inexplicable reason in 2006. One would think that was enough but oh dear me, not. Working on his maxims that you get "Nothing for a pair in this game" "Didn't he do well" to con another out of the deluded selectors.

Why do they get these things for doing a job for which they are paid handsomely? Others toil for years raising money for various causes that should be funded by Central Government with no recognition whatsoever.

The truth is about this bloke and lets be sincere here friends, he wasn't very entertaining in the first place. He is no singer, comedian or dancer.

He was however good at the humiliation of contestants on his game shows and treated some poor saps with such contempt and disdain that would have earned him a right hander in normal life.

It is noticeable whenever he is asked to comment on the passing of a 'celebrity' he has to get some airtime dedicated to himself.
I well remember the Pride of Britain Awards a while ago, he was just meant to award a prize to a little girl in a wheelchair.
One could see he was not going to let her have all the limelight and so started to do a dance on stage. The look of horror on that childs face will live with me forever.
Sir, no sir.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Never heard of him.
You've not missed anything Eileen I can't stand the man..should have retired years ago and disappeared into oblivion!!!!
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by merz ->
You've not missed anything Eileen I can't stand the man..should have retired years ago and disappeared into oblivion!!!!
I always hoped that he would fall down the trap door on the Palladium stage.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-06-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Never heard of him.
Sit back and enjoy or be sick

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Think that TBT and GG where both given an OBE in this years honours list

Bill Oddie was given an OBE in 2003
Before the other two then Galty? Good. I'm quite fond of Bill Oddie. I don't often take much interest in these sort of things, but I'm glad he got his first.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

12-06-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Before the other two then Galty? Good. I'm quite fond of Bill Oddie. I don't often take much interest in these sort of things, but I'm glad he got his first.

Think he got it for his efforts in wild life.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Think he got it for his efforts in wild life.
Yes I would think so Galty - I've enjoyed his programmes for years and it was a shame when when he had to stop doing Springwatch.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Yes I would think so Galty - I've enjoyed his programmes for years and it was a shame when when he had to stop doing Springwatch.
Bill used to be very watchable with his own wildlife programmes, but I think Springwatch was the worst program he made. Even now he's gone from Springwatch I still can't watch it because of the remaining presenters, their presentation style being both infantile and patronising.....
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-06-2011, 12:56 PM

Hurrah! Someone at last who agrees with me, that Kate Humble may just as well be talking to pre-school kids the way she pronounces every word interspersed with umpteen ah this and ah that. I do enjoy Spring and Autumn Watch though while moaning at her all the way through it!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top