Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 09:13 AM

Re: Cheques

I'm not sure than Bendix are still around Robert lol

A cheque book lasts me about 2 years, still need to use cheques at times.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 11:03 AM

It was the first name that came into my head lol

Ever since I thought of it earlier today I keep thinking about WILIAM BENDIX.
THere was a USA sitcom & he was on it. "Life of Riley".

His catchphrase was "This is another revolting development".
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 11:20 AM

I think the only person we pay by cheque is the coalman because he doesn't take cards. Wrote the last cheque when we got two tons of hardwood logs from him in the summer.

In my working days, I helped to develop the cheque book issuing software for one of the major banks. I expect that you have to request a new book now if you want one.
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Can't remember the last time I wrote a cheque, but we still receive them from ERNIE and my OH's betting accounts.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 01:34 AM

It costs us nothing here in the UK to write out a cheque, and I wrote one out for my boss yesterday (Wednesday). My car had had her MoT via the company's garage and he paid the garage, so I paid him by cheque.

Don't use it very often though, but I never carry cash in my purse, except for the odd fiver. Otherwise I pay on my direct debit card.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 05:49 AM

I do exactly the same, mollie, as having beeb a high school teacher in "challenging" schools for 40 years and having had my purse stolen by students a couple of times in the past, I learnt my lesson and still only carry a bit of cash. They weren't interested in credit cards or cheque books! Too risky!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:16 AM

I sent a cheque to my older sister earlier this year, as her last share from mum's estate, from a new account. She never received it so she let me do a bank transfer. I have to admit, I find transfers simple and quick, even though I don't want to see cheques fade out.

As for my own account, I can't remember the last cheque!! Seems I want the best of both worlds, doesn't it?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2013, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
When was the last time you wrote a cheque?

Do people still write cheques?

For us it was about 3 years ago, in fact I don't know where my cheque book is .. probably in the safe.
Same for me, actually might even be longer than three years since I last wrote a cheque, on line transfers such as Bpay are so much quicker and easier. Banks still take 10 days to clear a cheque - unbelievable.

However for some organisations such as my seniors club it is far more convenient to write cheques to pay for things - it just makes accounting easier - every transaction has to be approved by the members.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2013, 06:29 PM

Each chequebook here costs 12.50 euros before you even use them,
and then I think it's another 50 cents for each time you write a cheque... hence I haven't written one in Ireland since I bought my house. But I do very occasionally write English cheques and post them as it's more cost effective.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2013, 07:12 PM

write cheques for my council tax....or when giving the grandchildren birthday money

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top