Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 04:00 PM

Re: Sad Worlds Oldest Polar Bear Dies

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I abhor the hunting of wild animals for pleasure, but to keep individuals in captivity in a completely unsuitable habitat just to prevent their extinction doesn't seem to be much of an answer either. If we cannot maintain enough natural habitat for animals to live naturally then what really is the point of their existence other than as a curiosity or to somehow assuage man's guilt perhaps?

Man should hang his head in shame for how he is pillaging the earth whilst apparently caring nothing for other species.
Totally agree.

Watching 'Women that kill Lions' on TV last week it showed them hunting bears because they encroached on city land....totally wrong way around, the Bears were there before the town or man.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 04:04 PM

I abhor the hunting of wild animals for pleasure, but to keep individuals in captivity in a completely unsuitable habitat just to prevent their extinction doesn't seem to be much of an answer either. If we cannot maintain enough natural habitat for animals to live naturally then what really is the point of their existence other than as a curiosity or to somehow assuage man's guilt perhaps?

Man should hang his head in shame for how he is pillaging the earth whilst apparently caring nothing for other species.
I agree Barry. One wonders what the long term solution should be. I was in Malaysia a few years ago and volunteered to work in a sanctuary for elephants caught in traps. It was heartbreaking to see orphaned baby elephants with three legs
Or adult elephants maimed through farmers not wanting the elephants to cross their land. All for Palm oil production.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2016, 05:33 PM

I'm not sad he died and neither us he I would suggest, what a miserable bloody existence some of these animals have in zoos, which offer nothing of the animal's natural habitat but just contain them for our entertainment. .

Spot on Barry, bloody disgraceful treatment by all concerned.

I remember seeing one in a zoo just pacing back and forth clearly suffering. Even convicts get better treatment.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2016, 06:03 AM

How very sad .
The poor creature imprisoned for people to gawk at
However the zoo is closed now and the zoo in Buenos Aires has closed too.
Hopefully a step forward.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2016, 06:10 AM

Oh no! ...just when I thought I had got over the death of Brumas another one dies.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2016, 06:16 AM

Zoos have a place if they are to save endangered species to breed and reintroduce to the wild .
To breed animals must be happy to keep any animal in solitary confinement is cruel .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top