Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 03:48 PM

Re: What? No Mention?

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
That's not my understanding of what's been published in today's DE. In fact, the DE is reporting that the EU is pissed because it hasn't been offered the same deal.
To be polite it would appear that Swimfeeders is a "glass-half-empty" type and would in many cases rather ignore any positive or indeed the reality, sadly.
The EU won't have been happy with Norway either for their timing in agreeing a deal, albeit a temporary one.
And look at the number of MEP's who have been "having a go" at the EU's bullying stance in the European Parliament!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
To be polite it would appear that Swimfeeders is a "glass-half-empty" type and would in many cases rather ignore any positive or indeed the reality, sadly.
The EU won't have been happy with Norway either for their timing in agreeing a deal, albeit a temporary one.
And look at the number of MEP's who have been "having a go" at the EU's bullying stance in the European Parliament!
I agree but, as I said in another thread, they're ignored by the Commissioners.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Stupid Liz Truss has handed the EU a Golden get out by doing this.]
Further to my last post in response I will add to it with this from The Telegraph, which amply demonstrates I believe that Liz Truss is far from stupid:
"This week, Michel Barnier, the EU's chief negotiator, praised Britain for moving from its initial negotiating position that it would only agree to non-enforceable "level playing field" guarantees typical in other trade deals such as the one with Japan."

There you go.
'Non-enforcable "level playing field" guarantees' is how Mr Barnier described your worried-about supposedly-restrictive part of the deal.

Surely that is now enough to convince you of your erroneous surmise?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Hi

Nope.

Just realistic of how badly our Politicians have performed.

Giving the EU the advantage was not what I voted Leave for.

We are giving them the advantage.

We are not collecting Import Tariffs for six months, the EU are collecting them from day one.

Priti Patel is gobbing off about what she will do from Day one.

No chance, she has not put the infrastructure or staff in place.

It is a remarkable achievement to be a worse Home Secretary than Theresa May.

She has managed it easily.

The highest number of cross channel illegals landing here, the fewest ever deportations and hundreds of experienced staff leaving.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

24-10-2020, 04:06 PM

I agree but, as I said in another thread, they're ignored by the Commissioners.
Of course they are - the Commissioners do not care about the union's subjects!
Despite all the braggadocio it has always been about power for a small clique, nothing more.
Fortunately Brexit has made that perfectly obvious to those who open their eyes enough to see it.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 04:08 PM

Hang on a mo. Hold yer foot up (as my late lamented father would say). I don't understand. If the guarantees are "NON-ENFORCEABLE", what's the bloody point of having them?
Zaphod
Lincs UK

24-10-2020, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Nope.

Just realistic of how badly our Politicians have performed.

Giving the EU the advantage was not what I voted Leave for.

We are giving them the advantage.

We are not collecting Import Tariffs for six months, the EU are collecting them from day one.

Priti Patel is gobbing off about what she will do from Day one.

No chance, she has not put the infrastructure or staff in place.

It is a remarkable achievement to be a worse Home Secretary than Theresa May.

She has managed it easily.

The highest number of cross channel illegals landing here, the fewest ever deportations and hundreds of experienced staff leaving.
I will freely admit that our politicians have been hopeless.
They aren't as bad now as those we booted out in the last GE but I admit they still aren't good.

BUT .......... as I've said re: Priti Patel & how I'm sure she would sort the problem out, it's do-gooders that are putting their "oar" in that stop REAL action happening, not the government so much.

As for Brexit ........ well look, we're in the final stages now.
Soon we will know what will happen after December 31st.
Wait & see what happens before deciding how it has gone, eh?
And if they do make a muck-up of it, I can assure you that you will not be alone in your condemnation.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

24-10-2020, 04:46 PM

Hang on a mo. Hold yer foot up (as my late lamented father would say). I don't understand. If the guarantees are "NON-ENFORCEABLE", what's the bloody point of having them?
It's legalese to show good intent.
Nothing more.

The whole thing about trade deals is often in fact a bit of an illusion; the EU's often more-so.
They (trade deals) aren't necessary and they can restrict who you trade on best terms with, as we know from our experiences with the EU.
We have traded with other countries for centuries without "deals" and now the WTO has rules.

There is a large school of thought which suggests free trade is the best way; it has worked for millenia and caused less problems than trade deals after all BUT a disadvantage is that the biggest (& cheapest) will win!
That's why we see unions and groups clubbing together to make a deal.
The "non-enforcable" bit keeps things friendlier than the stance of some "we will punish you for it" other types of deal.

The EU for example often limit amounts of "stuff" and even timings.
Example: The EU can only import oranges when it doesn't put Spanish orange producers at risk and even then only so many.
That doesn't really do Spanish farmers or EU citizens any good because A/ Spanish orange growers don't have to be efficient AND they can charge more; and B/ EU citizens pay more for oranges because cheaper, more-efficient growers erlsewhere aren't allowed to compete.
(Protectionism)

If Spanish orange producers were encouraged to be more competetive and more efficient they could probably sell more beyond EU boundaries, increasing trade and at the sime time making oranges cheaper for EU citizens PLUS (the modern-day "biggie") reducing their carbon footprint at the same time.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top