Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2020, 01:08 PM

Re: The USA rejects proposed new WTO leader

Originally Posted by JBR ->
To be honest, I have never been interested in the ins and outs of international trade, so I admit that I don't know what I'm talking about.

But a simple question I have is, how did we trade before the WTO or, for that matter the EEC/EU, came along?
Up until WW2 everybody (basically) just bought & sold on the free market, just the same as for centuries before.
For example, the UK has been trading with Japan since the late 16th Century - a book from 1580 (I know, right! Amazing.) advised early english merchants in trading wool & silk with Japan.
But tariffs came about to protect home produce from cheaper overseas competition; the earliest UK tariff was in the 14th century (! Yes, that early! ) to protect the price of homegrown wool.

Post-WW2 there began a system called GATT (General Agreement on Tariffs) which came about in order to reduce tariffs and other trade barriers.
The WTO began 1995 to replace and improve upon GATT.

http://www.tradeready.ca/2016/topics...t-wto-members/
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2020, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Up until WW2 everybody (basically) just bought & sold on the free market, just the same as for centuries before.
For example, the UK has been trading with Japan since the late 16th Century - a book from 1580 (I know, right! Amazing.) advised early english merchants in trading wool & silk with Japan.
But tariffs came about to protect home produce from cheaper overseas competition; the earliest UK tariff was in the 14th century (! Yes, that early! ) to protect the price of homegrown wool.

Post-WW2 there began a system called GATT (General Agreement on Tariffs) which came about in order to reduce tariffs and other trade barriers.

The UK is a founding member of GATT - it's article 24 (I think) which contains the bit about most favoured nations and having interim solutions for trade agreements like we saw in the Malthouse Compromise.

Us Brits... we invent everything
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2020, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The UK is a founding member of GATT - it's article 24 (I think) which contains the bit about most favoured nations and having interim solutions for trade agreements like we saw in the Malthouse Compromise.

Us Brits... we invent everything
We are very inventive still.

It annoys me greatly when I see the UK derided, either for things like our creativity; our size (ooh er missus!); our supposed inconsequential stature on the global stage etc.
Obviously there remain many here who are ignorant (or dismissive) of this country's not-inconsiderable achievements.

We remain globally #6 in terms of GDP.
Not too shabby for a country ranked #21 in terms of population.
Ahead of us are the USA, China and India who have populations many times the size of our own, plus Japan and Germany - both of whom have been funded in their growth by the us and others post-war while we only finished paying our war debts at the very end of 2006!
Before anybody witters on about our wealth being because of centuries-past plundering - bluntly that is just so much bull. Almost every European country similarly conquered but none retains their centuries-old power or wealth, and the USA isn't the size of India or China yet is #1 in terms of GDP despite once being a colony of the UK and with, therefore, noe of the lengthy history.

Per head of population we surely lead the world in creativity, from music and literature to motorsport and movie visual effects.
Plus we're the world #1 for animal welfare and we have more five-star teaching institurions than any other country in the world.

You know what?
Are we perfect?
Nope, not by any means.
But we rock!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2020, 03:37 PM

Though I agree the WTO needs reform im in favour of an international trades dispute mechanism that promotes free trade and fair trade.

Just because we import more goods than we sell it doesn't mean we should not protect our exporters and have a body where we can vote to impose sanctions.
I think it's all about competition.
Foreign producers should compete for our purchases.
Similarly, it is only fair that our producers should compete for their sales.
Of course, there will always be cheap Chinese rubbish with which we cannot compete on price, so we should concentrate on high quality products.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2020, 03:41 PM

Thanks. Very informative.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2020, 03:47 PM

I think it's all about competition.
Foreign producers should compete for our purchases.
Similarly, it is only fair that our producers should compete for their sales.
Of course, there will always be cheap Chinese rubbish with which we cannot compete on price, so we should concentrate on high quality products.
We should never have allowed China to become a member of the WTO in the first place. Their goods are cheap because they are state funded - against the WTO rules on competition. Similarly Airbus is also state funded by France - against the single market rules of the EU but thats OK (for some reason).

This is why I want reform of the WTO and have a much quicker resolution mechanism that works appropriately. We should throw China out of the WTO as well and whack sanctions on it for the suffering the CCP have inflicted on the world with COVID-19.

Competition should be fair - China is far from it and so it the EU. Expect massive tariffs on German cars soon from Mr Trump when he gets re-elected next week.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

29-10-2020, 03:52 PM

It annoys me greatly when I see the UK derided, either for things like our creativity; our size (ooh er missus!); our supposed inconsequential stature on the global stage etc.
Obviously there remain many here who are ignorant (or dismissive) of this country's not-inconsiderable achievements.

Ahead of us are the USA, China and India who have populations many times the size of our own, plus Japan and Germany - both of whom have been funded in their growth by the us and others post-war while we only finished paying our war debts at the very end of 2006!
Before anybody witters on about our wealth being because of centuries-past plundering - bluntly that is just so much bull. Almost every European country similarly conquered but none retains their centuries-old power or wealth, and the USA isn't the size of India or China yet is #1 in terms of GDP despite once being a colony of the UK and with, therefore, noe of the lengthy history.

Per head of population we surely lead the world in creativity, from music and literature to motorsport and movie visual effects.
Plus we're the world #1 for animal welfare and we have more five-star teaching institurions than any other country in the world.

You know what?
Are we perfect?
Nope, not by any means.
But we rock!
10/10 for that one Zaphod
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-10-2020, 03:54 PM

You know what?
Are we perfect?
Nope, not by any means.
But we rock!
I agree, apart from music. Historically, our music output is quite limited compared to other European countries. More recently, of course, we became world leaders when 'pop' music came along in the '60s.

As for the rest, yes indeed. We were and still are a very inventive nation and could be world leaders in many fields except for one thing: our backward-looking and 'woke' politicians. Our do-gooders and greedy lawyers don't help either.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-10-2020, 04:01 PM

We should never have allowed China to become a member of the WTO in the first place. Their goods are cheap because they are state funded - against the WTO rules on competition. Similarly Airbus is also state funded by France - against the single market rules of the EU but thats OK (for some reason).
Once we are, again, free and independent we should certainly follow suit.
Why shouldn't we encourage our own producers to be state funded? We seem to prefer to finance foreign countries through foreign aid. Well, if it brings us some advantages with trade and alliances, OK, but we should support our own businesses first and foremost. We must make them more competitive if we are to become world leaders again.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2020, 04:09 PM

10/10 for that one Zaphod
Definitely 10/10. Well said Zaphod.

I agree, apart from music. Historically, our music output is quite limited compared to other European countries. More recently, of course, we became world leaders when 'pop' music came along in the '60s.

As for the rest, yes indeed. We were and still are a very inventive nation and could be world leaders in many fields except for one thing: our backward-looking and 'woke' politicians. Our do-gooders and greedy lawyers don't help either.
One thing about French "pop" music is, it is protected as far as radio airtime is concerned by French law. Every French DJ has to play French "pop" for at least 70% of his/her programme despite the fact that the listeners want differently.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top