Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 03:10 PM

They Have a Valid Point.

Anti discrimination laws sometimes clash with genuine religious beliefs. Sort this one out Solomon
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...cake-case.html
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 03:15 PM

Re: They Have a Valid Point.

Gizza clue Alan. Is it about bakers or bankers !!!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Gizza clue Alan. Is it about bakers or bankers !!!
I had a bit of trouble posting the link but I think I've sorted it.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I had a bit of trouble posting the link but I think I've sorted it.
Thanks Alan Whilst some don't participate we do like reading about some topics .
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 03:27 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...cake-case.html

Peter Tatchell, the veteran gay rights campaigner, emerged as a surprise supporter for the McArthurs' appeal.

He said that, while he totally disagreed with their views on gay marriage, it is a basic “infringement of freedom” to force people to promote ideas to which they conscientiously object.

Writing in The Guardian, Mr Tatchell said that while no-one should be allowed to discriminate against people, that did not apply to ideas.

He wrote: “The judge [in the original case] concluded that service providers are required to facilitate any ‘lawful’ message, even if they have a conscientious objection.

“This raises the question: should Muslim printers be obliged to publish cartoons of Mohammed? Or Jewish ones publish the words of a Holocaust denier? Or gay bakers accept orders for cakes with homophobic slurs?

“If the Ashers verdict stands it could, for example, encourage far-right extremists to demand that bakeries and other service providers facilitate the promotion of anti-migrant and anti-Muslim opinions.

“It would leave businesses unable to refuse to decorate cakes or print posters with bigoted messages.”
He's right - the law shouldn't favour one group at the expense of another .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 03:31 PM

This is the same as people of certain beliefs refusing to serve customers with different types of food. I don't think religion should influence business.
On the other hand, if someone refused to serve me with something I'd just go somewhere that would.
As long as that choice doesn't disappear too!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
This is the same as people of certain beliefs refusing to serve customers with different types of food. I don't think religion should influence business.
On the other hand, if someone refused to serve me with something I'd just go somewhere that would.
As long as that choice doesn't disappear too!
Quite, if it's your own business, and you don't mind sacrificing potential custom, because of your belief, so be it, if you work for an organization, and have convictions that may conflict with the organizations objectives, then you should think carefully about a change in career.Imo
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 04:12 PM

Seems to me in all these flare ups, both parties want to establish a point of order, if you are self employed and do not wish to do business with someone, at present as I am aware, you are not at liberty to give a reason.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 05:46 PM

What a ridiculous attitude, religion has no place in business. Do they not sell to anyone with different beliefs? Why just pick on one section of society, when they could show intolerant bias to everybody? I'm an atheist, would they refuse to bake me a cake? They certainly don't deserve to succeed with such a ridiculous attitude to business.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
What a ridiculous attitude, religion has no place in business. Do they not sell to anyone with different beliefs? Why just pick on one section of society, when they could show intolerant bias to everybody? I'm an atheist, would they refuse to bake me a cake? They certainly don't deserve to succeed with such a ridiculous attitude to business.
I agree Barry, intolerant religion rears its ugly head again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top