Join for free
senile1
Virginia,USA
senile1 is male  senile1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 06:48 PM

Middle East and a less dependent world....

In a future world, less dependent on oil, what do you see as the role of the Middle East in world economics and politics???
Some will say this future is far off, but remember oil has only become a major player in world energy in the last 100 years or less. Technology has served to give us cars, truck and even jets less dependent on oil based fuels, and we have over the last few years started to see battery powered vehicles appear on the market.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 10:44 AM

Re: Middle East and a less dependent world....

The future of the Middle East is a very precarious one as far as I can make out. Everything to do with them seems at variance to how everyone else lives and thinks. Out of this variance is a growing hostility towards the whole place. Who knows where it will lead but they are on a conflicting head on collision course with the rest of the world and have been for a long time.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 11:46 AM

The sooner we become independent of oil and all fossil fuels, the better for everyone. It is only oil that has given the Middle East so much power and negative influence. The greatest threat to mankind is climate change and that is driven by fossil fuels. The world will survive it but we won't.

Once we are no longer dependent, the Middle East will go back to being a bunch of Arabs who live in a desert. Without Saudi money, terrorism will have no funds and will disappear.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
The sooner we become independent of oil and all fossil fuels, the better for everyone. It is only oil that has given the Middle East so much power and negative influence. The greatest threat to mankind is climate change and that is driven by fossil fuels. The world will survive it but we won't.

Once we are no longer dependent, the Middle East will go back to being a bunch of Arabs who live in a desert. Without Saudi money, terrorism will have no funds and will disappear.
Saudi Arabia is fully aware of a future change occurring with the drying up of the oil revenue, trouble is what are they going to do to make up for the shortfall? Here is one idea they have had, which makes me a little uncomfortable to say the least ...

Saudi Arabia hopes for religious tourism boost

Originally Posted by BBC
With Saudi Arabia's government announcing reforms aimed at moving the kingdom away from its dependence on oil, another source of income looks set to become a major contributor to the economy - religious tourism.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2016, 06:49 PM

I don't see a problem with that but am I missing something? Better interested parties go there and pig out on their stuff than they come here and blow ours up.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

25-05-2016, 09:00 PM

I don't see a problem with that but am I missing something? Better interested parties go there and pig out on their stuff than they come here and blow ours up.
There lies the crux of the matter. The more time they devote to their studies the more they want to blow everyone and everything else up.
moreover
North Wales, UK

26-05-2016, 11:06 AM

It's not them coming here that's the problem, though, is it? It's the home grown ones, indoctrinated in British schools, who become terrorists.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

26-05-2016, 12:40 PM

It's not them coming here that's the problem, though, is it? It's the home grown ones, indoctrinated in British schools, who become terrorists.
But, but, but - who do you think indoctrinates those that indoctrinate others?

If you follow the trail where does it lead you I wonder?

A lot of indoctrination is carried out online by the way.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 01:54 PM

I believe that apart from oil, which will run out of course, the middle east has nothing to offer the rest of the world and I agree with others that when the oil runs out that part of the world will return to the desert.

I have worked in Saudi Arabia and am aware that all the money they have made from oil has been invested in things such as hospitals and healthcare, roads, housing and some very impressive buildings. The very extensive royal family is, of course, very rich as are many other Saudis. However, I cannot see anything (other than the oil) that they could profit from by exporting.

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Saudi Arabia is fully aware of a future change occurring with the drying up of the oil revenue, trouble is what are they going to do to make up for the shortfall? Here is one idea they have had, which makes me a little uncomfortable to say the least ...

Saudi Arabia hopes for religious tourism boost
Of course, this is something that they can expect to attract foreign investment, but to me it is comparable only to Egypt's reliance on its historical artefacts for tourism, and look at the standing of Egypt on the world stage.

No, I'm sure the middle east will revert to what it was before the 20th century.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top