Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 10:10 AM

Measles !

Grace has measles the rash arrived yesterday and we had a hot sweaty night as her temperature went up, but this morning she is a bit short of breath (I don't remember the boys being like that when they had it but it was years ago). Anyone know if that's normal ? I have made an appointment with the doctor but it's not until tomorrow so I am wondering if I should take her to the walk in clinic ?
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 10:19 AM

Re: Measles !

I wouldn't take her out Julie. Its very contagious and you cant
go near other people like pregnant women etc. I would ring
your Doctor and if they are like mine you can have a telephone
call from him and tell him how she is.
You can have symptoms like a cold which would be similar
to having chest problems. Think you are best just trying
to speak to someone in your Doctors for more advice.
She could have some of the spots in her mouth so just keep
your eye on her through the day until you can get hold of
your Doctor.

I remember when I was 8 having them and my Mum put me
in a room with the curtains closed due to my eyes being effected.
She should be resting and drinking liquids. Chamomile lotion
on the spots. Sure you know all of this but just in case someone
reading doesn't know it.

Hope she gets better soon.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 10:24 AM

Walk in clinic with a child with measles is not a good idea for anyone.

Keep her temperature monitored and lots of fluids..

I remember having measles and feeling that my limbs were made of firey concrete hot and too heavy to move it was miserable.

Im so glad my children never had to go through it.
I hope Grace gets well soon.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 10:27 AM

Julie, just copied this for you from the NHS website. Watch out for yourself and hubby too.

When to seek medical advice

Contact your GP as soon as possible if you suspect that you or your child has measles, even if you're not completely sure.

It's best to phone before your visit, as your GP surgery may need to make arrangements to reduce the risk of spreading the infection to others.

You should also see your GP if you've been in close contact with someone who has measles and you've not been fully vaccinated or haven't had the infection before – even if you don't have any symptoms yet.

Hope she gets better soon.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 10:29 AM

If I were you Julie I would ring your doctor and ask for an urgent home visit.
It may or may not be measles and it should be checked out right away, there should be no problem getting a home visit for a sick child.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 10:38 AM

Thanks everyone will ring the GP again I wasn't going to take her into the walk in centre I intended leaving her in the car while I popped in to get advise. Usually they have a room to isolate contagious diseases round the back and they open it up on request.

She has a chesty cough and as I said struggling to breath properly so I think GP will need to come out.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Thanks everyone will ring the GP again I wasn't going to take her into the walk in centre I intended leaving her in the car while I popped in to get advise. Usually they have a room to isolate contagious diseases round the back and they open it up on request.

She has a chesty cough and as I said struggling to breath properly so I think GP will need to come out.
That's the very best thing to do Julie, I really hope all goes well and that the little girl makes a speedy recovery.....you certainly have your fair share of problems, my heart goes out to you.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 10:50 AM

I remember when I had measles as a child that I had to stay in a dark room. I also remember that you had to tell them at the library when the books you borrowed were returned.
Julie, I hope the little girl is soon better.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

26-10-2015, 11:09 AM

Spoke to the GP on the phone she was very helpful, I have to take her to the surgery and they have a room we will be sent to so she doesn't come into contact with anyone. Better get ready now they have fitted her in at 10.45am.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 11:28 AM

I hope Grace will be OK, Julie. Measles is nasty - I remember my sister had it when we were little.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top