Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 12:24 AM

OMG ! Blade Runner 2049 !

What joy !

The greatest Sci-Fi film of all time is getting a sequel in June 2017. Bladerunner 2049.

With Harrison Ford again and others.

Just can not wait.

Core fans of Blade Runner will know this is the most important film of 2017. They should also know what to expect in terms of the story assuming it follows the books.

Many, more casual, viewers of the original film will have likely seen just a Sci-Fi movie with amazing landscapes and nightscapes. But there were significant secrets and clues right the way through the film which hinted at a particular twist. True followers of the film know what that twist is and what the clues were, such as the little origami unicorn and the comments by the police guy to Decker when he says "you've done a man's job" and "it's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?"

This news has made my day ! My year even !
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 02:31 AM

Re: OMG ! Blade Runner 2049 !

" The greatest Sci-Fi film of all time ... "

Each to his or her own but that would mean little to me.
Wifey loves them. They bore me to snores.

Prefer drama I can relate to - something believable.
Most sci-fis - the plot is ridiculous, the dialogue is worse and the acting is crap.
Before we even start on those loud never-ending battle-scenes in which you cannot tell who's who.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 09:35 AM

I love sci fi films but blade runner never did it for me
But I'll watch this one when it comes out it might be ok
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 10:27 AM

Hope they don't make a complete balls of it like so many sequels manage to do. Let us hope that the Dystopian future is still in evidence too because that's what it will be like IMO.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 10:30 AM

Good news indeed, great book by Phillip K dick that inspired it. The clips look great.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Most sci-fis - the plot is ridiculous
Ok plot summary then. It's the future and man has developed sophisticated robots in human form to aid with all manner of tasks, mostly off world. They are called Replicants. Occasionally they malfunction and go rogue. A branch of the police called Blade Runners are then called in to find and "retire" the faulty robots. In this film 4 replicants are reported having come back to Earth and have already caused a few deaths. No-one knows why. Decker, a retired Blade Runner is brought out of retirement to deal with these special Nexus 6 replicants and a game of cat and mouse ensues.

Along the way Decker meets the man who designs and builds the robots, Tyrell, the owner of the massive Tyrell Corporation. There he also meets one of his "daughters", the beautiful Sarah. As a Blade Runner Decker has equipment and routines to test people to determine if they are human or replicant. He tests Sarah at the wish of Tyrell
to ensure he can first correctly test a human before trying a replicant. Sarah is sent out after the test. Decker informs Tyrell that the tests show she is a replicant but that she is somehow not aware of what she is. Tyrell explains that it is because they now use implanted memories so that the replicant is "more human than human".

As the film progresses the chase and confrontations with the 4 rogue replicants progresses. At the same time, Sarah visits Decker and starts to realise/suspect that she is a replicant herself. Since all replicants have a built in limited 4 year lifespan as a failsafe mechanism, she worries about how much "life" she actually has left. Decker becomes fond of her.

After 2 of the rogue replicants are retired by Decker the remaining 2 go to visit Tyrell themselves, to meet their maker, creator and to demand more life. Unfortunately Tyrell can not give it. They were made as best as they could be.

Eventually Decker confronts the last 2 in an old building. He retires (shoots) one leaving the strongest of the original 4 and finds himself having to try and escape. He ends up on the rooftops in the pouring rain, without his gun, with 2 broken fingers and there the final replicant corners him. But in a moment of self-realisation, he does not kill him. The final moments I will not reveal in case you ever see the film but I can tell you that the replicant delivers a speech to Decker which has become iconic in the Sci-Fi world.

What makes this film special is that it is packed with clues and secrets. But it can also be viewed as an amazing piece of cinematography, the last of its kind. The visuals are beautiful. There is none of your crappy Sci-Fi zap and blast em crap here. This is all about a future dystopian world, dark streets, neon lights. It is at heart a thriller set in the future.

With Harrison Ford as the main hero and the great Rutger Hauer as the primary replicant the acting is brilliant.

the dialogue is worse and the acting is crap.
Not with Blade Runner. The dialogue is actually fairly limited and what there is, is delivered well. The number of actors is limited too. Only a few main characters. Amongst the dialogue are various clues to secrets which you as a viewer may or may not pick up on. They are important though because they concern the twist of the whole film, and will go on to form the main plot of the sequel when it comes.

Before we even start on those loud never-ending battle-scenes in which you cannot tell who's who.
Yep I know the kind of battles you are talking about. There are none of the kind with Blade Runner. There are no spaceships here and no laser rifles. This film is about a man hunt through a dystopian world by a retired cop who wields just his side arm and his equipment for testing people/robots. It is one of the most atmospheric Sci-Fi films made, with incredible cityscapes and a backing track by the brilliant Vangelis. The music is a key part of the experience for many. To my mind there hasn't been a Sci-Fi film made of its like since.

I do hope you get to see it one day.

Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
What joy !

The greatest Sci-Fi film of all time is getting a sequel in June 2017. Bladerunner 2049.

With Harrison Ford again and others.

Just can not wait.

Core fans of Blade Runner will know this is the most important film of 2017. They should also know what to expect in terms of the story assuming it follows the books.

Many, more casual, viewers of the original film will have likely seen just a Sci-Fi movie with amazing landscapes and nightscapes. But there were significant secrets and clues right the way through the film which hinted at a particular twist. True followers of the film know what that twist is and what the clues were, such as the little origami unicorn and the comments by the police guy to Decker when he says "you've done a man's job" and "it's too bad she won't live, but then again, who does?"

This news has made my day ! My year even !
Thanks Realist i will make a note great film.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 01:36 PM

The "effects" will be brilliant, production values will be of the highest quality and I have no doubt that that the film will be a blockbuster but, inevitably, it will be just another example of generic fantasy "tosh" being churned out at a prodigious rate nowadays .....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

20-12-2016, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
inevitably, it will be just another example of generic fantasy "tosh" being churned out at a prodigious rate nowadays .....
I'm not convinced Omah.

Firstly, remember that the film is based on the Philip K Dick books so there are plot lines to be followed.

Secondly, it needs to be understood that Blade Runner has a HUUUGEEEE cult following of the like of The Lord Of The Rings.

Director Peter Jackson could never have thought to make movies of Tolkein's highly regarded masterpieces as some kind of "generic fantasy tosh". Anyone who was going to commit Tolkein's epic to film absolutely HAD to treat that with utter respect and deliver a believable Middle Earth that fans of the books would recognise and accept. As a result he consulted with all the mainstream artists who had for many years depicted Tolkein's world. The results were of course astonishing.

Bladerunner likewise has a great following. Anyone who decides to make a sequel of that original cinematic experience and does so without respect and understanding, is going to end up with immense amounts of criticism and a lot of lashback.

For those reasons I strongly expect Bladerunner 2049 to be excellent and to uncover/develop the secrets of the original film.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2016, 02:25 PM

Firstly, remember that the film is based on the Philip K Dick books so there are plot lines to be followed.
Followed or invented .....

Secondly, it needs to be understood that Blade Runner has a HUUUGEEEE cult following of the like of The Lord Of The Rings.
Frankly, I doubt that .....

The original "Blade Runner" was almost a non-event on release and, although it has amassed a following over the years, that following cannot come near to that amassed by the triple blockbusting LOTR (which, I believe, has take £3,000,000,000 to date .....

Director Peter Jackson could never have thought to make movies of Tolkein's highly regarded masterpieces as some kind of "generic fantasy tosh".
Did I say LOTR was "generic fantasy tosh" .....

I used the phrase "nowadays", and, IIRC, LOTR was was made over 13 years ago .....

LOTR, although not to my taste, is a series which consistently set standards and maintained credibility .....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top