Join for free
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 09:53 PM

Re: The English Habit

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Teabag in a mug for me.

For health reasons I have to limit my daily fluid intake to between two and two point litres, so how many brews I have depends on what other fluids I have consumed.

Generally though it would be about seven mug-fulls of either English Breakfast, or Earl Grey, weak and milky, no sugar.
My Lovely Cousin can't stand the smell of the latter, so I have to drink it when she is in another part of the house.

Brekkers, mid-morn, lunchtime, mid afternoon, teatime, and two in the evening.

Store brand for ordinary tea, any decent well known brand for the Earl Grey.
Oh Earl Grey! I remember him well , made me very dizzy ! Consequently I’ve never supped with him again .Besides ,I’m with your cousin on this ,the scent is so off putting somehow. You keep on enjoying tho. Do you take fruitcake with it btw ?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 09:54 PM

I have the most lovely cat teapot, but its never used. Teabags in a mug, (for Mr P )water first, then milk, no sugar. I drink a lot of coffee but have a few mugs of fruit tea, green tea during the day.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 09:54 PM

Coffee only. Douwe Egberts high roast mostly. No sugar but a dollop of cream.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Foxy, Talking about Yorkshire Tea. My daughter and her boyfriend couldn’t get Yorkshire Tea malty Biscuit flavour in Brighton where they live.
I bought her three boxes of it. She made a cup of tea with one of the teabags once when she was here.... Yuk... just the smell, of it made me heave.
I don't blame you Arty, that doesn't sound very nice at all....
I much prefer the originals of everything....Vegetable soup, plain crisps, and just ordinary Tea.....
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 09:55 PM

Boil the water. None of this American "hot" water rubbish. Oh how hard it was to get a decent cuppa when I was working over there.
Let the water come off the boil so it doesn't spurt out the spout when you pour it.
Water needs to be 97 C or above otherwise the tannin won't be released and you won't get the full flavour.

Depending on how strong the tea in the teabag is will determine how long it needs to steep.

Remove and squeeze the bag. Add the milk.

Originally, only the wealthy could afford tea, and used fine bone china. As the price came down, the middle and then the lower classes could afford tea, but often didn't have high quality cups or glasses, so they would often crack as a result.
Somebody then came up with the bright idea of putting milk in the bottom of the cup, and hey presto, the English habit was born.

I like tea. I could give up beer on medical advice, but I would find it heart breaking to give up tea.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Zuleika, How lovely to see a thread from you.

You have omitted one very important thing about a cup of tea... you didn’t ask in which direction do you stir your spoon in the cup of tea... Clockwise or Anti-clockwise?

Anyway, l only drink tea, never coffee.
I use Tetley teabags, it took me years to come round to using teabags. Imagine, if the Queen called in one day and you offered her a cup of hot water and a teabag to dunk in it!!

I only use China mugs, a splash of milk and no sugar. I like the strength ‘just right’ not weak and not strong. I use a tong like thing to squeeze the tea bag.

Sometimes, l add the milk first and sometimes after. I keep the milk in a small jug, on the worktop so it doesn’t cool the tea too much.
I like the tea hot, never cold. I am not sure how many a day l have but not an excessive amount.
It doesn’t keep me awake either, like when l’ve had coffee in the past.

Gosh, you wouldn’t think you could write that much about a simple cup of tea.

I forgot to mention, l always used to just reboil the water in the kettle until Mups started or mentioned in a thread about reboiled water. I didn’t realise it was bad for you, so now I always use fresh boiled water.
Art ,lovely to hear from you too !
So you drink a Yorkshire brand of tea too ? How disrespectful am I , a Typhoo One Cup girl ,in a China beaker ?
No sugar ,milkyish . But I’m thinking of changing brands ,hence one of the questions in this thread about them .
I do like my tea hot too . My mother always let hers stand but she drank it cold anyway . Nowadays you’d just pop it in a microwave?
I use fresh water too ! Never thought to stir the spoon other than anti-clockwise .
Please feel free to write more on tea now I’ve got you going lol .
Have you ever tried Darjeeling for instance ?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2021, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Oh not much hot fluid passing your lips then OGF ,cups indeed ,never would have thought it of you a Yorkshireman.
When I was a girl growing up in Yorkshire everyone seemed to mash it in a teapot but I can’t remember ever drinking tea then. Probably because I don’t like strong tea!
Sorry Zuleika, I put cups, because it just rolled off my fingers, but I should have said 'Mugs'....But I don't like it strong though....
I much prefer to mash my own tea, Mrs Fox makes it with a teabag in the mug....Erg! But like Longdogs says, it's a surgical well timed operation to get it just right....
Zuleika
North West UK

14-02-2021, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am not a tea drinker, one mug cup a day at 6am that is so weak you can see the bottom of the mug

I am a coffee drinker ground Kenya coffee mild and acidic
Im kind of cringing here Meg , Acidic coffee ?
Me I’m an instant Skinny Latte girl ! When I have one .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Coffee for me only too, Nescafe instant.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Oh Earl Grey! I remember him well , made me very dizzy ! Consequently I’ve never supped with him again .Besides ,I’m with your cousin on this ,the scent is so off putting somehow. You keep on enjoying tho. Do you take fruitcake with it btw ?
I do occasionally have a slice of fruitcake at tea time.

I used to have a decent dunking biscuit or three mid morning and afternoon, but stopped because I was becoming addicted and putting on weight.

You can't dunk a cookie because they disintegrate. A decent dunker will hold itself together and not fall back in the mug or down your decolletage.

A nice malted milk biccy will do the job very nicely.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top